Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   URL to a particular Info Item (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3815)

armsys 10-05-2008 10:03 PM

URL to a particular Info Item

Is it possible to create a URL pointing to particular Info Item in a URD? What's the format? For example, in MindManager or Excel, I would like to jump to a particular UR Info Item from a MindMap topic or Excel cell.
Armstrong

quant 10-06-2008 03:32 AM

create a link from one urd file to another (drag item from data explorer and drop inside item text in another urd) and all will be clear, for example

ur://D:/test/notes.urd?item=3616,1000

Kinook,
I see that it doesn't seem to work when the link needs to open the password protected urd file, it opens it but doesn't go to the specified item.

armsys 10-06-2008 04:09 AM

Hi Quant,
Your UR URL format works brilliantly. Indeed your URL can lead to a particular Info item in a URD from any MindManager topics. It's extremely handy when other applications can link directly to UR Info Items.
BTW, where did you acquire this arcane technique?
Thanks a lot.

Armstrong

quant 10-06-2008 04:20 AM

it's not an arcane technique, it's right in the Options->Miscellaneous->Item command line format

ur://%DB_URL%?item=%ITEM%

I just provided an example how to get the link more easily than to manually type it.

armsys 10-06-2008 06:56 AM

Quant,
Thanks to your enlightenment, now I completely grasp the command-line format. I also discover that the ItemID is shown on Item Attributes pane. Thanks again for your help.
Armstrong

armsys 12-30-2008 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by quant

Sorry to raise the question again. 1000 follows the comma. Is it a proper syntax? What does 1000 stand for? Is 1000 part of the ItemID?

Armstrong

quant 12-30-2008 03:14 AM

1000 is itemID of the parent (and root item). The numbers are itemIDs of the parents up to the root item.

armsys 12-30-2008 03:31 AM

Grateful for your fast reply

Taking your sample URL command:

3616 is the ItemID of the current Info Item, and
1000 is the ItemID of the parent of the current Info Item.

Questions:
1. Is my understanding correct?
2. I thought the ItemID of the current Info Item could suffice to locate it. Why is the Parent Item's ItemID needed to define the URL?
3. By the same token, the url could also define the grandparent's ItemID, isn't it?

The whole manual never mentioned about the multiple ItemID definition. Yes, it merely says Item_Path, but it gives no examples.

quant 12-30-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by armsys
2. I thought the ItemID of the current Info Item could suffice to locate it.
it wouldn't, think of internal links items ...

armsys 12-30-2008 03:52 AM

I'm sorry. I didn't know that nor did I notice it. Since your Oct 6 post, I used only the ItemID of the Info Item. The URL always points to exactly the item I specified. Of course, I could be wrong.

quant 12-30-2008 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by armsys
I'm sorry. I didn't know that nor did I notice it. Since your Oct 6 post, I used only the ItemID of the Info Item. The URL always points to exactly the item I specified. Of course, I could be wrong.
because probably there was no linked items in the path to the item you were linking. UR needs the whole path from given item all the way up to the root to identify it uniquely.

kinook 12-31-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by quant
I see that it doesn't seem to work when the link needs to open the password protected urd file, it opens it but doesn't go to the specified item.
Fixed in 3.5d.