Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Not working on Windows 7 Beta... (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3992)

ralfsmith 01-11-2009 09:21 PM

Not working on Windows 7 Beta...

Hi, I've tried UltraRecall with the Windows 7 Beta (and earlier), and while most of the program seems to work, the "data explorer" panel is frozen: it doesn't respond to clicks at all. I've tried compatibility modes to no avail.

Any chance someone could take a look at this sometime? I realize it's WAY early days for Windows 7, but thought it was interesting that one component didn't seem to like Win 7...

Thanks!

kinook 01-12-2009 10:35 AM

The tree/list and print preview components used by UR are not compatible with the Windows 7 beta. If this is still the case with the final release of Windows 7, we will update UR for Windows 7 compatibility within 1 month of the Windows 7 final release date.

goggin 01-28-2009 04:51 PM

I'm testing Windows 7 beta...so I'll be looking forward to the day I can use UR on it. I think Kinook is working on this, but since Win7 is beta and not due to be released until late this year at the earliest, they really don't have to be in any hurry.

BTW, Windows 7 is a blessing for me. My laptop is marginally powered for Vista, but works like a dream with Windows 7. It's like running WinXP as far as the way it taxes the hardware, which means it's much less of a resource hog than Vista.

DonMcKenzie 02-04-2009 07:00 AM

I've just installed Windows 7 and discovered that UR doesn't work in it. Same problem as described above.

Durn.

I like 7 so far. Guess I'll have to run UR in a VM for a while.

jpmnh 02-12-2009 12:52 PM

Lets hope for a quick fix

So far UR is the only pgm I'm having an issue with, but UR is a key piece of software I need :)

Anne 04-03-2009 03:57 AM

UR problems in Windows 7 build 7068

Has anyone found a work around for the frozen panels in UR when using UR with Windows 7 ? So far UR is the only piece of software I have that does not work with Win 7. The windows build 7068 is stable enough I would switch if I could get UR working.... Any help out there ???

juergen 04-09-2009 08:39 AM

I found Ultra Recall some days ago and am currently testing it in a XP Virtual Machine where it does pretty much exactly what I am looking for.
Unfortunately I use Windows 7 on my Notebook already.
I tried the various compatibility modes without any luck so I guess we are stuck until Kinook resolves that issue.

Greetings,
Juergen

ralfsmith 04-19-2009 12:12 AM

Found Win7 Workaround

Ok, I've got a workaround to get UltraRecall running on Windows 7!

These instructions are for Windows 7 build 7077; for earlier builds see below.

You'll need to find and install the Ultra Recall Pro 3.5 that has an UltraRecall.exe version of 3.5.0.0, as shown in "Help > About > Install Info". After installation, right-click the desktop link, select the Compatibility tab and set compatibility mode to "XP Service Pack 3". Ok it. Then launch UE and... it actually works!

The compatibility mode settings don't help out any other UR versions I've tried, only 3.5.0.0.

Now time for the disclaimers:

1) I'm not responsible for any data loss incurred by going back to an earlier version of UE; I don't know of any, but always make backups of your URDs!

2) This is only a temporary workaround until Kinook gives us the real Window 7 compatible version.

3) Admins: if this workaround is "outta line" please feel free to remove it. Thanks.

Hope this helps...

- R

Note 1: Windows 7 7077 seems to be the first build with "XP SP3" in the compat. modes: 7022 doesn't have it. Go MS!

Note 2: To get it to work in Windows 7 build 7022 I had to set compatibility to "Windows Vista" - otherwise UE wouldn't even start up. Vista mode might work for 7077 too...

Note 3: I'm sure fond of lists, ain't I?

dasymington 05-06-2009 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kinook
The tree/list and print preview components used by UR are not compatible with the Windows 7 beta. If this is still the case with the final release of Windows 7, we will update UR for Windows 7 compatibility within 1 month of the Windows 7 final release date.
A lot of people are likely to be trying the Windows 7 Release Candidate between now and March next year (when it starts regular shutdowns). It would be good if UR could be made to work with Windows 7 before the final release comes out.

pawe 06-03-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kinook
I'd like to second that it would be great to see UR compatible with windows 7 RC before next year...

I can confirm that UR Pro 3.5.0.0 works (for me) with windows 7 RC build 7100 in XP SP3 compatibility mode. Newer versions seem not to work. So in the meanwhile (until a windows 7 compatible version is finished), it would be great from kinook to make version 3.5.0.0 pro and standard accessible to everybody!

juergen 06-04-2009 12:07 AM

I can only second that. Now that Windows 7 RC is upgradeble to final and release date set to October, we only have some virtual machines left with Windows XP.
I could only look at UltraRecall for a couple of days as the version I downloaded for testing doesnt work.

mwfuss 06-04-2009 01:08 PM

I would like to add my thoughts to this topic by saying that I hope the developers are able to make UR fully Windows 7 compatible sooner rather than later. I am finding it very difficult to live without UR as I become acclimated to Windows 7.

quant 06-04-2009 03:27 PM

guys, do you have nothing better to do than to debug Vista's facelift? :)

kinook 06-05-2009 02:25 PM

We should soon have a beta of UR v4 (including Windows 7 compatibility) available for testing. If you'd like to receive the beta announcement, send a request to support@kinook.com. Thanks.

pawe 06-06-2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pawe
I can confirm that UR Pro 3.5.0.0 works (for me) with windows 7 RC build 7100 in XP SP3 compatibility mode.
To be exact, the tree/list objects do not seem to work properly in windows 7, the scrollbars are not shown. Mouse scrolling and main functions seem to be ok. Looking forward to UR 4.0 beta then...!