Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [VBP] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "Unexpected error occurred" during automated build (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2688)

sjohn 06-05-2007 01:56 PM

"Unexpected error occurred" during automated build

We recently moved our automated builds to a new server, and in the process upgraded from VBP 5.7 to 6.3. The new server is running Windows 2003 SP2.

We have a simple master build script that runs as a scheduled task and launches three product-specific build scripts. I have yet to have all three scripts run successfully during the automated build.

A script will stall with a Visual Build error dialog that says "Unexpected error occurred." None of the build steps before the error fail, and after hitting "OK" on the dialog the rest of the script runs without error.

So far I have seen this happen with two different scripts, but only when running as part of an scheduled task. If I run the scripts interactively I don't experience a problem.

We've been running with Visual Build for nearly five years and this is the first time I've run into this issue.

Any ideas?

kinook 06-05-2007 02:10 PM

Does upgrading to v6.4 and/or building via the console (VisBuildCmd.exe) rather than the GUI (VisBuildPro.exe) app make any difference?

Please ZIP and send to support@kinook.com or post:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) The .bld file(s)
3) Build log file(s) containing the error
4) Details of VBP errors in the Windows Event Viewer (if any)

Thanks.

sjohn 06-05-2007 05:07 PM

I have downloaded 6.4 and will test tonight with VisBuildcmd.exe.

I've never used the logging option, so I will turn this on for tonight's build.

I couldn't find any build-related entries in the Windows Event Viewer.

If we are still having difficulty after the upgrade I will send the .bld files.

Here is the information from Install Info:

Visual Build Professional 6.3
Windows Version: 5.2.3790.2.0
Install path: C:\Program Files\VisBuildPro6
SftTree_IX86_U_50.dll version 5.05
unins000.exe version 51.46.0.0
VisBuildCmd.exe version 6.3.0.0
VisBuildPro.exe version 6.3.0.1
VisBuildBld.dll version 6.3.0.2
VisBuildBurn.dll version 6.3.0.0
VisBuildCore.dll version 6.3.0.1
VisBuildDotNET.dll version 6.3.0.0
VisBuildExt.dll version 6.3.0.0
VisBuildLog.dll version 6.3.0.0
VisBuildMisc.dll version 6.3.0.2
VisBuildMS.dll version 6.3.0.0
VisBuildMS2.dll version 6.3.0.0
VisBuildNet.dll version 6.3.0.0
VisBuildSvr.dll version 6.3.0.1
VisBuildSvr.Interop.dll version 1.0.0.0
VisBuildVCS.dll version 6.3.0.2

BrandonG 06-07-2007 03:27 PM

Same experience

The unknown errors seem to have started with 6.3. Based on my experience with 6.2, if an error occurred in the build (mostly vbs for me) it would display the line/column number information similar to cscript. After 6.3, and including 6.4, it now reports unknown error. I have resorted to using ultraedit macros to alter a section of vbs to remove the vbp custom stuff (ex. application.macros, vbld_fso) and then executing it through cscript to get the error locations.

kinook 06-07-2007 04:29 PM

That is a different scenario/error message than what the original poster of this thread reported. I'll reply in the other thread you opened.