Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Cannot edit text (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5101)

woodlander 10-28-2012 12:41 PM

Cannot edit text

I have spent a rainy day looking over the Ultra Recall manual before setting up a new database for a large project. By the way UR is a very impressive piece of work which I find very helpful and even more so when I study the manual after having had reasonable experience of UR.

In previous databases I found documents (pdf, doc and docx) opened up externally. I have now rectified this and all open up nicely in the main window ready for editing using their native applications.

However in my final check I found that my text files were not now editable, both those already created and new child ones from the text template. For the created ones I can see the text, I can copy it but I c annot edit it nor paste into it.How can I resolve this issue, please?

I have the following settings:

File extensions to dispay in internal browser view:
.html;.htm;.mht;.eml;.nws;.msg;.ico;.gif;.zip;.doc ;.docx;.pdf;.txt

File extensions to open stored documents writeable
.html;.htm;.mht;.eml;.nws;.msg;.ico;.gif;.doc;.xls ;.ppt;.pdf;.docx;.xlsx;.pptx;.txt
( As part of to-day's work I did completely reset the UR setting using the zip file available for modifiying the registry)

I am running Windows XP.

Best wishes, John M.

kinook 10-28-2012 09:26 PM

Don't put .txt in the browser options -- the browser is for viewing, not editing, files. Put .txt in Tools | Options | Editor | File extensions to display in text editor instead.

woodlander 10-29-2012 05:42 AM

Cannot edit text

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have modified the file types as below but I am still unable to edit text. Currently the settings read:

File extensions to display in text editor:
.txt;.rtf;.ini;.reg;.bat;.cmd;.csv

File extensions to display in internal browser view:
.html;.htm;.mht;.eml;.nws;.msg;.ico;.gif;.zip;.doc ;.docx;.pdf;

file extensiongs to open stored documents writeable:
.html;.htm;.mht;.eml;.nws;.msg;.ico;.gif;.doc;.xls ;.ppt;.pdf;.docx;.xlsx;.pptx;.txt

In the 'open stored documents writeable' I have tried the line without the .txt suffix included but that has no effect. I have also tried turning closing and reopening UR to after each change but no effect,

Best wishes, John M.

kinook 10-30-2012 02:37 PM

Add .rtf to Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to open stored documents writeable.

woodlander 10-30-2012 03:25 PM

Cannot edit text

Thanks Kinook,

It's working now,

Best wishes, John M.

tim 04-11-2014 07:56 AM

Cannot edit text - enhancement

Any chance of having UR pop-up a message if the "file extensions to open stored documents writeable" edit box is missing .RTF? If missing, this renders the Item Details pane non-editable.

kinook 04-11-2014 08:24 AM

No plans for that at this time. The default is to make .rtf writeable, and some users may want them read-only and would be annoyed by a popup if they did remove .rtf on purpose.