Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   A Couple Browser-Related Questions (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=4302)

mikeg 11-16-2009 03:12 PM

A Couple Browser-Related Questions

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know why I have what looks like redundant add-ons for Ultra Recall in IE8? Copy to UR and Link to UR add-ons show up twice (see attached screenshot). Is that normal?

A second issue that also seems browser related: I set Roboform to attach to the bottom of IE when the browser is open. However, Roboform is also attaching to the bottom of UR. This is probably related somehow to UR's internal browsing functionality. It's not a big deal, but any ideas how to keep it from doing that? Should I be asking Roboform support instead?

$bill 11-16-2009 05:48 PM

Try this, it has worked for me in XP, Vista, and now Win7.

If you click the x at the end of the Roboform toolbar in UR, it will close and it doesn't come back. If you want it back, right click on the Roboform icon in the window's notification area/taskbar and choose browsers.Then selecting UR will bring the toolbar back.

mikeg 11-17-2009 07:50 PM

$bill, that worked, thanks! Now my second issue is fixed.

J-Mac 11-29-2009 12:25 AM

Mike,

If you look at the list of supported browsers on the Siber Systems website (Roboform), you will see that Ultra Recall is listed as one of their "supported browsers", thus Roboform will automatically attach to UR whenever you are using the browser pane. I am pretty sure that you can disable this within the RF options but my RF is not being used currently (using LastPass instead), so I can't check it for you.

Jim

mikeg 11-29-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by J-Mac
If you look at the list of supported browsers on the Siber Systems website (Roboform), you will see that Ultra Recall is listed as one of their "supported browsers", thus Roboform will automatically attach to UR whenever you are using the browser pane. I am pretty sure that you can disable this within the RF options but my RF is not being used currently (using LastPass instead), so I can't check it for you.
Jim, thanks for the info. Makes sense since UR has internal browser. I just never open password protected sites in UR so didn't have use for RF there. Closing it as $bill suggested did the trick.

No response so far on the first issue... I wonder if an UR upgrade installed a second set of IE toolbar add-ons instead of replacing the ones already there from the previous version. The other thing is I remember UR Link and Copy buttons being available in the IE toolbar, but they no longer show up--not even in Customize -> Add or Remove Commands. Instead, UR now has it's own seperate toolbar which is not resizable (at least not for me) so it takes up a whole row for two small buttons. Maybe I need to uninstall/reinstall UR to clean it up...

kinook 11-30-2009 07:15 AM

I don't know why it is listed twice (I'm seeing that too in IE8 on Win7), but the UR toolbar is only shown once so it doesn't appear to have any other effect. If you unlock IE's toolbars (right-click in a blank area to the right of the tabs and uncheck Lock the Toolbars), you can resize the UR toolbar, but in IE8, custom toolbars are always on a separate row (it can be on the same row as other custom toolbars, but not with IE's built-in toolbar).

UR does also install commands that are usually displayed in the Add/Remove Commands area of IE (for adding to the built-in IE toolbar), but I'm not seeing those in IE8/Win7 either. Again, I don't know why. The method used for adding those commands may not be supported in newer versions of IE.

mikeg 12-03-2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kinook
UR does also install commands that are usually displayed in the Add/Remove Commands area of IE (for adding to the built-in IE toolbar), but I'm not seeing those in IE8/Win7 either. Again, I don't know why. The method used for adding those commands may not be supported in newer versions of IE.
I could swear UR buttons were in the built-in toolbar after I converted to IE8 back in June and then moved to a custom toolbar more recently (maybe after UR 4.0?). I'm really not sure. Anyone out there still running UR 3.5 or earlier with IE8? I could try it in a VM, but I don't have 3.5 installer anymore. LinkStash, Roboform and some other add-ons install in the built-in toobar, but as you indicated, perhaps a different method is required now.

mikeg 01-23-2010 10:34 AM

I built a new home PC over the holidays (Windows 7 Pro x64). After installing UR Pro 4.1b, I noticed the Copy and Link to UR buttons installed correctly in the IE8 built-in toolbar! The custom UR toolbar is available of course, but there's no need for it now. Also, the UR buttons appear only once each in Manage Add-Ons (as they should). So everything is good at the moment.

Recap: As reported in my OP, the UR add-on was fine on my old PC running XP/IE7/UR 3.5. Then, at some point while running XP/IE8/UR 4.0, I noticed the UR buttons displayed twice in Manage Add-Ons and the icons were no longer available in the built-in toolbar.

I didn't see a fix for this in UR 4.1a/b version history. Also, kinook reported the same add-in issues in Windows 7, so my move to Win 7 must not be the difference This leads to a few theories which others may have feedback on or could be tested in a VM at some point.

1) The problem occurs when upgrading from IE7 to IE8
2) Occurs when upgrading to a new version of UR
3) Maybe MS recently fixed a bug in the IE add-on installer

I'll see what happens when the next UR version comes out...

mikeg 01-25-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg ... the UR buttons appear only once each in Manage Add-Ons (as they should).
Correction: Copy and Link to UR buttons still appear twice each in Manage Add-Ons. But that's not a problem, just an observation. It occured to me that one set might be for the IE built-in toolbar and another for the UR custom toolbar.

Anyway, as I said, these two buttons correctly display in the built-in toolbar on my new Win 7 PC.