Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   File import problem (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3979)

Jon Polish 03-25-2009 12:00 PM

File import problem

1 Attachment(s)
I am using the latest release on Vista Business SP 1.

I need to import a large number of files to my database. Here are the steps I follow:

1. File |Import
2. Files
3. Clear the lliist of previously imported files.
4. Tick the box to store the file contents in UR.
5. Browse for the folder containing my files. They are all eml files. Select all the files.

At this point I see the file names liisted, but the path has some weird characters (see the attachment). This occurs no matter where the folder is (USB drive, desktop, etc.)

What's up?

Jon

quant 03-26-2009 02:36 AM

Re: File import problem

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Polish
[B]I am using the latest release on Vista Business SP 1.
Jon, we feel for you ...

Jon Polish 03-26-2009 06:48 AM

I upgraded to a high-end, custom built notebook and threw everything performance related into it. Memory, high speed hard drive, high speed CPU with large L2 cache and high speed bus, premium graphics card - well, you get the idea. I have read all about Vista's troubles and was taking the criticism with a grain of salt. Yet I wanted to be prepared for the increased harware demands Vista requires to run well. As insurance, I even got an XP downgrade CD just in case.

I was unprepared for the experience. What a piece of crap! Software that cannnot install, software that will install but not run, the ineficiencies imposed by so many mouse clicks/keystrokes when compared to XP are just a few of my gripes. Proprietary software? Forget it. By far the biggest problem is Vista's lack of speed in most areas. It is far slower than XP even when XP is run on a computer with 1/4 of the memorry and a slower HD. Did I downgrade? Yup. But the downgrade disk does not include all the drivers needed to properly run my notebook, so I am stuck with Vista.

So I fullly agree with you.

By the way, any advice on my UR problem? Kinook?

Jon

Jon Polish 03-26-2009 09:10 AM

The problem may be that I was trying to import too many files at once. When I reduce the number of files to about 10% of the total (which was over 40,000), the display is correct and the files seem to import well. Still, I don't see the display should be affected as shown above. A message box should pop up instead.

All this assumes that I have properly identified the problem and the work around.

Jon

J-Mac 03-28-2009 02:15 AM

Jon,

Am I understanding this right? You were importing 40,000 messages in one fell swoop? :O

Wow! That is one BIG fell swoop!!

Weird issue, though. I tried to find out what would cause those characters to be appended to the filename/path, figuring it must be something seen by other folks somewhere. 20 minutes of Googling got me nowhere. Sheesh, I thought issues like this only plagued me!

Jim

kinook 03-28-2009 04:42 PM

There could be a limit to the number of files supported for multiple selection in the file dialog--we've only tested up to about 4,000. Couldn't you just import the parent folder instead of selecting all of the files?

Jon Polish 03-29-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kinook
There could be a limit to the number of files supported for multiple selection in the file dialog--we've only tested up to about 4,000. Couldn't you just import the parent folder instead of selecting all of the files?
4000 is roughly the limit I run into as well. Yes, you are correct about importing an entire folder. I chose the first method because there were many eml files that I did not need to import, but quickly discovered that it is easier to create a new folder, move the files to the folder, and then import it.

Thank you for your input.

Jon

Jon Polish 03-30-2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by J-Mac
Weird issue, though. I tried to find out what would cause those characters to be appended to the filename/path, figuring it must be something seen by other folks somewhere. 20 minutes of Googling got me nowhere. Sheesh, I thought issues like this only plagued me!

Jim

Hi J-Mac:

I tend to push some areas of the program to extremes, but that is how I use it. Before my first purchase, I asked questions about UR's capability and the answers were what I could live with. The program (when actively developed) got faster (performance was always a particular thorn in my side) and better. It is now indispensible. A calendar and export to html would be nice to include. Calendar implementation with the InfoQube project has taken quite a while, and I suspect it is quite complicated to implement. So even if a calendar is never realized, I'd opt for the stablility and performance we currently have and do without a calendar. But html? I definitely could use this.

I too looked for this particular problem before I posted, but could not find a reference. Oh well, it is a puzzle and an inconvenience, but, as an alternative, I can place all the files in a temporary folder and import the folder.

Thanks for your comments.

Jon