Kinook Software Forums

Kinook Software Forums (http://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [VBP] Third Party Tools (http://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MSDEV and Total number of Build Errors (http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=34)

Jginzo1007 03-31-2003 02:00 PM

MSDEV and Total number of Build Errors
 
Is there any way to get a total number of build errors amond all Visual Studio Projects? I know the log will log failed project, but our previous solution was able to keep a running total of build errors as well.

Any help appreciated.

JG

pjaquiery 03-31-2003 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
About the only way to do this would be to parse the log file generated by Visual Studio and total the error and warnings or whatever.

What we find more useful is to pull out the project summarys using the attached (JScript) code. We put the result in an email and attach the compiler log then send the lot off to the people most likely to have introduced the errors.

Peter

Jginzo1007 03-31-2003 04:23 PM

Yes I realized that later - The VSStudio steps will fail if any project fails, so I can also just have a failure step that emails me when this happens.

The idea after all is to know if any MSDev project has any errors, but the total number of errors is not important - knowing which projects failed is.

Am I on the right track here? What I plan to do is just have a separate step for each Visual Studio Workspace that I need to build, with a failure step that emails me the log. That way if a project fails to build, I will get an email with the output from MSDEV.


Thanks,

JG

pjaquiery 03-31-2003 05:57 PM

That will do it, but check out the script I posted. It goes one step further and identifies the individual projects that have failed to build in the compile of a solution configuration. The guys here really like this!

Peter

Jginzo1007 03-31-2003 06:01 PM

Yes I see - looks like it parses the log looking for "errors" and when found gets the project name and outputs it - looks good.

thanks,

JG

pjaquiery 04-09-2003 04:39 PM

After a bit of mucking about and assistance from Kinook I have altered the error counting function I posted to this thread. DevStudio generated null characters in it's compiler log output file and the nulls were getting JScript into a strange state. The new version of the function skips the null characters to "fix" the problem.

I've also included a function that checks for a nasty link error that happens occasionally. In my builds, if I get such and error, I simply retry the compile.

Peter

pjaquiery 04-13-2003 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just noticed, no attachment to my previous post. Here 'tis.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Copyright 1999-2019 Kinook Software, Inc.