Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   UR not creating link to webpage (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2391)

grahamrhind 03-16-2007 08:34 AM

UR not creating link to webpage

I am finding that UR is being very inconsistent in its adding of a webpage URL link.

If I open a web page in the internal browser of UR, and right click anywhere in that page, and choose "Add to Ultra Recall (link)", there is a very good chance that the copying dialogue will appear for a very short time (about 1 second), then disappear, but that no link is copied to the Imported items folder.

I often have to repeat this action 5 or 6 times on different parts of a page before the link is actually copied (I know when it has happened because the copying dialogue stays open for more than 1 second).

Does anybody have any idea why this is occuring? My default browser is Opera and this is also the icon I see when using the UR internal browser (though I would have thought that would have defaulted to IE). Could that be the issue?

Thanks,

Graham

nisced 03-16-2007 10:12 AM

Graham,

I am quite sure that this is the issue.
UR is set up for IE and I suppose for Firefox.

Kinnook, please correct if I am wrong.

Dominik

kevina 03-16-2007 10:41 AM

Actually it most likely NOT due to Opera being your default browser.

Does drag & drop or copy & paste (of the icon/address in the Web Toolbar) also show similar unreliability or only when using the context menu entries in the hosted browser?

grahamrhind 03-16-2007 10:48 AM

Yes, they are equally unreliable.

Daly de Gagne 03-25-2007 06:55 AM

Re: UR not creating link to webpage

UR was working well copying web pages from Firefox until yesterday when it just stopped copying pages or links.

At the same I noted that hen I selected a page in UR that was not stored, but was linked, I got the annoying qustion as to whehter I wanted to open the linked page, and then as a second step, the link to click on.

I used to get that in previous editions of UR but noticed that this annoying behaviour no longer persisted in v 3, that is until yesterday.

Yesterday I stated to run v. 2.0.0.3 of FF

Since I just started to use UR again for some files to say I am angry is an understatement.

Daly

Quote:

Originally posted by grahamrhind
I am finding that UR is being very inconsistent in its adding of a webpage URL link.

If I open a web page in the internal browser of UR, and right click anywhere in that page, and choose "Add to Ultra Recall (link)", there is a very good chance that the copying dialogue will appear for a very short time (about 1 second), then disappear, but that no link is copied to the Imported items folder.

I often have to repeat this action 5 or 6 times on different parts of a page before the link is actually copied (I know when it has happened because the copying dialogue stays open for more than 1 second).

Does anybody have any idea why this is occuring? My default browser is Opera and this is also the icon I see when using the UR internal browser (though I would have thought that would have defaulted to IE). Could that be the issue?

Thanks,

Graham

Daly de Gagne 03-25-2007 07:21 AM

Re: Re: UR not creating link to webpage

So, for the record:

I now have installed the latest versions of Firefox and of UR.

Using Launch now at least leads to a box telling me an item is being moved to UR.

However, the item doesn't show up.

This is not acceptable.

Also Launchy has gone back to its regular choice re UR -- ie. linking or copying to, without the third and fourh choices of linking or copying frame sets to UR, these latter choices apparently showing up yesterday for the first time.

I hope a fix is forthcoming very soon.

Thank you.

Daly

Quote:

Originally posted by Daly de Gagne
UR was working well copying web pages from Firefox until yesterday when it just stopped copying pages or links.

At the same I noted that hen I selected a page in UR that was not stored, but was linked, I got the annoying qustion as to whehter I wanted to open the linked page, and then as a second step, the link to click on.

I used to get that in previous editions of UR but noticed that this annoying behaviour no longer persisted in v 3, that is until yesterday.

Yesterday I stated to run v. 2.0.0.3 of FF

Since I just started to use UR again for some files to say I am angry is an understatement.

Daly

Daly de Gagne 03-25-2007 07:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: UR not creating link to webpage

Well, I tried the work-around suggested. If I try to drag and drop the url from the browser address bar, nothing happens.

If I do a select all and try and drag and drop I get the folloing notice:

"Error posting data. Foreign key violation. Item keyword table references missing row intable reference."

Everything worked fine up until Friday or yesterday. So what has changed?

Daly

PS And a question I have long had -- would it not have been better for a company with Kinook's capability to have developed its own ability to deal ith Fiefox rather than using some third party out to Lunchy software?

Quote:

So, for the record:

I now have installed the latest versions of Firefox and of UR.

Using Launch now at least leads to a box telling me an item is being moved to UR.

However, the item doesn't show up.

This is not acceptable.

Also Launchy has gone back to its regular choice re UR -- ie. linking or copying to, without the third and fourh choices of linking or copying frame sets to UR, these latter choices apparently showing up yesterday for the first time.

I hope a fix is forthcoming very soon.

Thank you.

Daly

Daly de Gagne 03-25-2007 08:39 AM

UR Launchy Out to Lunch

Well, I have now removed UR from my system, and reinstalled it, having already previously updated it and Firefox.

Launch is not working.

Unfortunately Launchy doesn't announce to the world when it goes out to lunch, so I have a whole bunch of previous work to try and repeat.

I will be sending a message to the 5,000 member Getting Things Done Group and to Outlinersoftware.com, many of whom use UR for GTD, to use the program with greatest caution, if at all when, when attempting to copy or link to web materials.

I will not use the program for anything at all until I can be assured these problems are cleared up.

Daly

janrif 03-25-2007 11:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: UR not creating link to webpage

Quote:

[snip] PS And a question I have long had -- would it not have been better for a company with Kinook's capability to have developed its own ability to deal ith Fiefox rather than using some third party out to Lunchy software?
Daly, I understand your frustration(s) as I have shared some of the same. I posed the same comment re: depending on launchy to kyle (one of the K's in Kinook) during the beta trials.

However, I decided -- as I posted -- to use URp's IE6 browser as my default browser (on my w2k machine) & it works for me, both for links & content. For secure pages, I use net snippets until I have time to research for an alternative.

Importing my favorites & bookmarks into URp is painless & tabbing is available within URp so that's not an issue either.

Daly de Gagne 03-25-2007 02:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: UR not creating link to webpage

Quote:

Originally posted by janrif
Daly, I understand your frustration(s) as I have shared some of the same. I posed the same comment re: depending on launchy to kyle (one of the K's in Kinook) during the beta trials.

However, I decided -- as I posted -- to use URp's IE6 browser as my default browser (on my w2k machine) & it works for me, both for links & content. For secure pages, I use net snippets until I have time to research for an alternative.

Importing my favorites & bookmarks into URp is painless & tabbing is available within URp so that's not an issue either.

Jan, thanks for the post.

Until yesterday, everything was working perfectly.

Today it is not.

Even with IE 6 it is not.

If this issue isn't resolved I will dump UR once and for all.

I can still use MyInfo for text, Surfulater for web clipping, and give up the luxury of having a program in which I can do both when it is more convenient to do so. Surfulater does let me do some note-making, and it has logical links.

Or I can use MDE InfoHandler, and with a rather complex series of links to web files I save from the browser end up with an all in one solution. Plus the most customizable keyword options on the market

Or I can try IDEA from Sycon, and just group files together in a logical way, while allowing each program to do what it is best suited for.

Or, in a better world, ADM wouldn't have disappeared from the marketplace.

What I cannot understand is why something that worked one day isn't working the next, even after reinstalls.

And then I start to read carefully the other messages on ww.outlinersoftware.com and this forum, and realize I may have just been lucky having it all work in the first place.

I am mightily pissed. I may be a CRIMPer at heart, but I don't have time for this sort of stuff. I am on tight deadlines this week plus getting hospital calls.

Daly

quant 03-25-2007 03:19 PM

hmmm ...

time is precious, but I'm sure Kinook will address your problem the first thing on Monday.

Doesn't the linking and storing work when you use internal browser? Just to say that I never had any problems with either internal browser or Launchy. Even though it would be nice if Kinook had it's own Firefox add-on for linking and storing pages, you cannot expect them to support every external browsers and creating extensions when all works fine for the internal browser inside UR, or does it not?

I will be sending a message to the 5,000 member Getting Things Done Group and to Outlinersoftware.com, many of whom use UR for GTD, to use the program with greatest caution, if at all when, when attempting to copy or link to web materials.

[I haven't updated Firefox, I'm using version 2.0.0.2]

grahamrhind 03-25-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by quant

time is precious, but I'm sure Kinook will address your problem the first thing on Monday.

Well, I first posted about this issue 9 days ago, and there's been not answer yet.....

quant 03-25-2007 04:13 PM

Daly,

wau wau wau ... I'm astonished! You certainly have time to grumble everywhere you can, you must really be pissed off. First let me remind you that Launchy is not made by Kinook, so as such, it is not a responsibility of Kinook for Launchy to work. I updated to 2.0.0.3 just now to see whether there is some problem, but all works fine here with either Launchy or when using as internal browser.

---------------------
Daly de Gagne:
I would appreciate it if members could share this warning with any other groups to which they belong, and whose members could be hurt by the current glitches in UR.
---------------------

I on the other hand would appreciate if you realize how much damage/hurt can be done to Kinook reputation by sending messages like this. It would be nice if you somewhere mention that Launchy is NOT supported by Kinook, but can be used (with discretion). I hope you find the guts and send another messages apologizing to Kinook for hoaxing in case you find that there is problem in your setting and not in UR.

quant 03-25-2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by grahamrhind
Well, I first posted about this issue 9 days ago, and there's been not answer yet.....
Sorry for not a really nice reply (people in this thread seem to be not in a good mood), but have you ever tried this???

"support@kinook.com
Email will be responded to within one business day."

;-)

quant 03-25-2007 04:32 PM

Daly,

you made my day. Sorry, this is on the personal note, certainly people have the right to feel angry, and there is a way to deal with anger, maybe by posting their frustration all around instead of writing an email to support, but this would really be the last thing I'd expect:

LOL