Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Outlook linking vs storing (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2281)

Logik 02-13-2007 05:24 PM

Outlook linking vs storing

Hello,
I'm trying out the eval of UR and I think I've finally found software that will let me organize things the way I think. That's despite the fact I've obviously misunderstood how it works and I've now deleted months of important e-mail. I thought if I copied and pasted e-mail from Outlook it would be stored, if I dragged and dropped it appeared to be linked. I copied and pasted several folders worth of e-mail into a database I created to archive old projects. I deleted a few 'test' e-mails and they still appeared in UR so I thought all was good. I deleted the contents of several of the archived folders and looked in UR, all still appears well. I then tried to open one (I swear I did that with the test e-mails and they worked) and I see "Click here to open the linked document". What the !$% happened? How can I store items in UR rather than just link to them? I do have ClearContext loaded in Outlook, and have had Outlook crash several times since moving my e-mail so it may be related (Outlook states problems with the ClearContext plugin on restart). Thanks for anyones time and suggestions, I really want to use this product!

kevina 02-13-2007 10:21 PM

First, there is a global option which controls the default store vs. link import setting, which is found at Tools | Options | Import | Store contents when importing files, web pages, and Outlook items checkbox. Checking this option will cause the default import option to be store instead of link.

The indicators that an item is "stored" vs. linked are the following:
1) [Stored] in the Item Details Pane caption
2) the Store Contents button (by default on the Item Toolbar) will be depressed
3) the presence of a Document Size attribute in the Item Attributes Pane.

The reason you started seeing the "Click here to open linked document" links is because when the objects existed, Ultra Recall would use MAPI to interrogate Outlook for the displayed properties of the email, once the email was deleted this was (obviously) not possible so Ultra Recall can only display that link...

You can use the Ultra Recall toolbar in Outlook to Copy or Link individual Outlook objects into Ultra Recall as well as Right button drag or by holding Ctrl when dropping in Ultra Recall.

Logik 02-13-2007 10:54 PM

Thanks for the help Kevin, I appreciate it. It appears that opening a stored e-mail allows me to reply and forward as if I never copied it from Outlook, is this correct? Is there a "move" option that will delete the originals from Outlook as I copy them into UR? Thanks again....

kinook 02-14-2007 11:23 AM

Hold down Shift when dropping, or right-drag and choose Move Here in the drop menu.