Kinook Software Forums

Kinook Software Forums (http://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [UR] General Discussion (http://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Outlook Protocol in UR (http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3899)

armsys 12-30-2008 04:47 AM

Outlook Protocol in UR
 
Actually in any item text and/or item note, you can insert a URL linking to a specific Outlook item (message, task, appointment, note,...etc.)

1. For background info, read: http://www.davidtan.org/create-hyper...ntacts-events/

2. Download a free program called Outlook Linker from TeamScope https://kinook.com/Download/LinkerForWindowsSetup.exe

3. Select an Outlook item.

4. Right-click the chain icon in the Taskbar to capture the link.

5. In UR, you can paste the link in the Item Text or Item Note.
The syntax of the Outlook Protocol URL in UR is, for example,
Outlook:\\Personal%20Folders\Calendar\
The GUID is obtained from Outlook Linker.


Hope you find the info useful.

armsys 12-30-2008 05:44 AM

Now I have a problem with pasting the URL into UR item text.
The URL captured by the TeamScope's Link can be copied into Microsoft Word and Outlook, not in UR. Why? Is UR default editor supposed to be RichText? Please help.
Thanks.

kinook 12-30-2008 10:28 AM

By default, the Outlook Linker utility puts only HTML format (containing the Outlook URL) on the clipboard. Word treats this as an actual hyperlink, but the MS rich text control (used by UR for rich text editing) doesn't.

If you right-click on the Linker tray icon and check Text (HTML), the linker utility will subsequently put text format on the clipboard as well, which will paste like this into UR (and other apps):

dfdf



If you then delete the HTML code surrounding the URL, it will become a clickable link. You can also give the link a custom title via Format | Hyperlink Properties.

It would be more convenient if the linker utility could put an RTF hyperlink and/or the raw URL as text on the clipboard.

igoldsmid 12-30-2008 02:20 PM

for pasting into UR from Outlook Linker - right click on the O/L tray icon and choose Outlook GUID format...

armsys 12-31-2008 03:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by igoldsmid
for pasting into UR from Outlook Linker - right click on the O/L tray icon and choose Outlook GUID format...
I couldn't find the Outlook GUID format... from from the Linker. Please help. Thanks.

armsys 12-31-2008 03:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by kinook

dfdf



If you then delete the HTML code surrounding the URL, it will become a clickable link. You can also give the link a custom title via Format | Hyperlink Properties.

Yes, thru the Teamscope's Linker I can obtain the URL text similar to your example:

dfdf



However, I tried out several possible deletions of HTML codes, but it can't work. Yes, it's clickable. But it fails jumping to the targeted item in Outlook and Outlook complains with the following error message dialog box:

igoldsmid 12-31-2008 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by armsys
I couldn't find the Outlook GUID format... from from the Linker. Please help. Thanks.
Yes -- that's a pain - I just downloaded the latest version and its both a larger file and it doesn't provide the Outlook GUID Format.

You will need to fully uninstall the current version - removing ALL the registry entries, directories and files - and the only way I know to do that fully and safely is with http://www.revouninstaller.com/

I have uploaded the earlier version of Linker for Windows which does provide the Outlook GUID links - which you can get here (for the next 7 days):

http://www.yousendit.com/download/TT...d0k3N0FLSkE9PQ

armsys 12-31-2008 04:10 AM

Hi igoldsmid,
The 0000000090116E77FD1A994BAE2972020E2B
A7D404182000 in

dfdf

(in Kinook's sample above)
is supposed to be the GUID, isn't?
Thanks for your help.

Armstrong

igoldsmid 12-31-2008 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by armsys
Hi igoldsmid,
The 0000000090116E77FD1A994BAE2972020E2B
A7D404182000 in

dfdf

(in Kinook's sample above)
is supposed to be the GUID, isn't?
Thanks for your help.

Armstrong

This is the full GUID:

Outlook:0000000090116E77FD1A994BAE2972020E2B
A7D404182000

armsys 12-31-2008 04:35 AM

igoldsmid,

Thanks a lot for your enormous help. Previously you and I were on a different page. I've download your LinkerForWindowsSetup.exe. I'm surprised by the quiet constant change of versions which is never announced by TeamScope. Yes, I kept two old versions, the older being Jan 11, 2008, version 3.0.4. Yours is much older, that's, 2.0.72.

Nonetheless, yours is the most friendly to UR users. Once pasting into an Info Item text, the URL is instantly clickable and instantly jumping to the targeted item. No more tedious HTML editing is needed.

Thanks.

Armstrong

ashwken 12-31-2008 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by igoldsmid
This is the full GUID:

Outlook:0000000090116E77FD1A994BAE2972020E2B
A7D404182000

Just curious, what happens to the link when the Outlook item is moved to the archive.pst.

armsys 12-31-2008 05:34 AM

I supposed GUID is assigned to an Outlook item, just like ItemID in UR. In this case, you've to give a full path.
That is, Outlook:\\archive\Calendar\

Note: I haven't tested the actual format/syntax.

ashwken 12-31-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ashwken

This is the full GUID:

Outlook:0000000090116E77FD1A994BAE2972020E2B
A7D404182000
=====
Just curious, what happens to the link when the Outlook item is moved to the archive.pst.

Perhaps I should have been more clear:

if the link you create in UR from this Outlook GUID is pointing to an Outlook Item in personal.pst, then via auto-archive the Outlook Item is moved to archive.pst, what happens to the link in UR?

Does the .pst have to be open (loaded) in Outlook for the UR link to still work (regardless of which .pst currently holds the item)?

igoldsmid 12-31-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ashwken
Perhaps I should have been more clear:

if the link you create in UR from this Outlook GUID is pointing to an Outlook Item in personal.pst, then via auto-archive the Outlook Item is moved to archive.pst, what happens to the link in UR?

Does the .pst have to be open (loaded) in Outlook for the UR link to still work (regardless of which .pst currently holds the item)?

Sometimes the URI gets changed when it is automatically moved to another folder or pst - sometimes not. The only way I know to assure that the link remains as it is - is to manually drag and drop the item to another folder/pst

armsys 12-31-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by igoldsmid
Sometimes the URI gets changed when it is automatically moved to another folder or pst - sometimes not.
May I know what is URI? Is URI a GUID or a UR ItemID? Thanks.
Armstrong


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Copyright 1999-2019 Kinook Software, Inc.