Kinook Software Forum

Kinook Software Forum (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/index.php)
-   [VBP] Third Party Tools (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to perform P4 opened for file (https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=455)

AlexB 05-25-2004 02:13 AM

How to perform P4 opened for file

I want to perform "p4 opened " in the P4 action for any changelist, but VBP performs "p4 opened -c default " instead. The file is opened not in the default change list and I don't know the changelist number.

How can I perform P4 action without specifying changelist?

P.S.
I think VBP must not specify any changelist if I didn't specify it in the "Change List #: field". If I want to specify "default" changelist, I'll fill the Change list # filed with "default". This is actually for other actions too (submit, reopen etc).

kinook 05-25-2004 10:52 AM

That was one situation we didn't anticipate. The download has been updated with a fix to not add the -c flag for the opened command if * is entered in the changelist field (the existing blank behavior was retained for backward compatibility with existing projects).

BTW, the opened command is the only command where -c default is added if the changelist field is blank (and be aware that the P4 submit command submits only the default changelist if no changelist is specified).

AlexB 06-09-2004 11:00 AM

I don't think this is a good solution.
If I want to submit some file(s), I use "Submit " step and specify the file list. Now, I don't know changelist number and I don't want to specify it.

To carry out Submit step VBP performs "Opened" command and after that "Submit" command.

So, if I not specified changelist, the "Opened" command may failed because -c default is added, but if I specified changelist as "*", "Submit" failed because changelist "*" doesn't exist.
So, I can't submit file(s) from unknown changelist.

IMHO, if changelist not specified, it is no need to add "-c default" to any command. If I want to work with default changelist, I'll specify "default" in changelist filed.

Thanks for your answer and advice.

kevina 06-09-2004 02:34 PM

Did you download and reinstall Visual Build Pro since kinook's previous post? As kinook stated, the published version was modified to accomodate your required functionality (the ability to submit a list of files to perforce in any change list) with * changelist syntax.

When you specify * as the changelist for a submit call, then the * will be interpreted as meaning use any change list and Visual Build Pro will submit the appropriate command-line call.

If you specify a list of files and * for changelist, then the opened call won't even take place (because you are specifying the files), and p4 submit will be called without a -c parameter.

If you don't specify a list of files and * from changelist, then the both the opened and submit p4 calls will be called without a -c parameter.

Please ensure you have the latest version installed and test it again. I am confident that you will see the behaviour described above.

I understand this Visual Build Pro syntax is somewhat different that what Perforce uses, this solution was chosen for backwards compatibility reasons (but should perform identically).