PDA

View Full Version : Importing from AskSam

santipu
02-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Is there any way to import a large document and break it into smaller chunks? I presently use AskSam and have a file containing 300+ variable-length text pages ("Documents"), all in the same file. I can print the entire file to a text file with (user-defined) delimiters between "Documents" and import it into UR, but I would really like to break it into the 300+ single items, either as it is being imported or afterwards, but automatically and not by having to highlight+cut+paste each item.

kevina
02-25-2005, 10:40 AM
What type of user-defined delimiter would be used? This import capability is on the todo list, and knowing what type of text splitting you are envisioning would be helpful when developing this future capability.

In the meantime, perhaps an external script or other method could be created as an interim solution (which we might assist in creating with more details on your needs).

santipu
03-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Basically, I can use of any kind of text delimiter that I wish, for example --------- or DELIMITER. This is entirely optional. You could choose your own.

kevina
03-07-2005, 09:24 PM
I agree that it would be necessary to allow users to specify a custom delimiter. The reason for my question was to determine if you were envisioning an unusual or particular delimiter that should be considered...

santipu
03-07-2005, 09:48 PM
I meant to say that *you* could choose whatever (string) delimiter might be best from your viewpoint, but your alternative is, of course, much better, as it would be applicable not just to AskSam

kevina
06-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Version 1.3 of Ultra Recall was recently released which provides the requested import capability.

Use File | Import | A text or rich text (RTF) file to import either a text or rich text file with several delimiter choices (including user-defined delimiters).