PDA

View Full Version : Outlining in the item editor pane

srdiamond
02-16-2005, 05:24 PM
The more full-featured, the better.

UR's tree could still stand improvement as noted in other places, but it is probably the most capable bar none among two-pane outliners today. Even so, and even if improved with hoisting and more complete drag and drop support, still the tree is not a tool for outlining but for managing the organization of notes by means of an outline.

Actual notetaking occurs in the editor pane. To leverage the power of outlining, ideally a rich array of outlining features would be available there. I realize this is a highly ambitious request; just wanted to put it out there.

Stephen R. Diamond

kzerba
02-17-2005, 07:23 AM
I agree.

tshare
03-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Great idea!

Simple drawing tools for tablet users would be useful as well.

prf5
03-13-2005, 12:26 PM
I agree as well. I'm looking for a capability similar to the outline view in MS Word, where outline levels are assigned automatically by promoting and demoting. I would also appreciate having the keystroke shortcuts in the editor pane follow CUA specs.

Paul

kevina
03-14-2005, 05:15 PM
What CUA keyboard mappings are you requesting? We have closely followed what we understand to be the CUA keyboard shortcuts, with the following known exceptions:

Ctrl+F does database search instead of text "find" (this was changed because Ultra Recall is much more than a text editor and database search was deemed more important/universal). The replacement shortcut in UR is Ctrl+Shift+F.

Alt+A is used by the Favorites menu (instead of Scroll Up)
Alt+Z inserts the current date+time (instead of Scroll Down)
Alt+O isn't implemented (should be Mark Paragraph)

Is your question related to one of these non-standard shortcuts, or are there others that we are not aware of that aren't implemented properly?

prf5
03-14-2005, 05:42 PM
The keystrokes that I'm particuarly interested in are Shft-Ctrl-down arrow and Shft-Ctrl-up arrow. I'm expecting these keystrokes to select text as the cursor moves down (or up) one paragraph at a time. In UR, it moves to the next item, up or down, in the data explorer.

Thanks.

Paul

ExtraLean
03-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by kevina Ctrl+F does database search instead of text "find" (this was changed because Ultra Recall is much more than a text editor and database search was deemed more important/universal). The replacement shortcut in UR is Ctrl+Shift+F.[/B]For what it's worth, I *can't stand* that one :(

I wish there was an option to force UR to adhere to the standard meaning of Ctrl+F. Even better would be global user-customizable keyboard mappings. Let the user decide which is more important/universal.

kevina
03-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your input, we will consider changing the Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down to match the CUA standards (and either remove or replace the current keyboard shortcut usage for these shortcuts).

We will also consider either making all shortcuts user-configurable (significant effort) or at least provide a way to make the Ctrl+F shortcut configurable (simpler to implement)...