PDA

View Full Version : Several Suggestions/Bugs

Steve10
01-30-2005, 12:01 PM
I have been using UR heavily for a couple of days now and I am very impressed to say the least. I apologize if some of these have already been reported.

Suggestions

1) It would be helpful if the Back button on mouse could be used to simulate clicking the Back button in UR.

2) Add a "Numbering" feature like in Word to compliment the Bullet Point feature.

3) Add Tables like in Word.

4) Add Password protection for individual Parent/Child Items instead of only for the entire database.

5) Add a Screen Capture feature like SnagIt. www.snagit.com

6) Allow Favorites to be placed on a toolbar.

7) The font Combo box does not advance to font if a letter is entered. For example I click in the Font combo box and type V trying to quickly find Verdana but nothing happens.

Bugs

1) In the Data Explorer when clicking a - of a parent field it does not always collapse the group if you are selected on a child item.

2) Search always disables the Auto Hide feature for the Child Items. It would probably be best if the Search used its own results pane instead of the Child Items. I like to have the Child section smaller for most of my items but when searching I would want it to larger to display a lot more information.

3) Most words with an Apostrophe like that’s or won't are not in the supplied dictionary and cannot seem to be added to the Dictionary when highlighted.

kinook
02-02-2005, 10:22 AM
1) It would be helpful if the Back button on mouse could be used to simulate clicking the Back button in UR.
We'll investigate to see if this is possible

2) Add a "Numbering" feature like in Word to compliment the Bullet Point feature.
This is available from the keyboard via Ctrl+Shift+L (toggles between bulleting and several numbering styles).

3) Add Tables like in Word.
Enhancements to the RTF editor are on our list.

4) Add Password protection for individual Parent/Child Items instead of only for the entire database.
It's not likely we'll do this. Why would you want to have to remember different passwords for different items? Is the intent of this to allow user-level security within a database or something?

5) Add a Screen Capture feature like SnagIt. www.snagit.com
This is beyond the scope of UR and don't think we'll implement it.

6) Allow Favorites to be placed on a toolbar.
This has been requested and is on our list.

7) The font Combo box does not advance to font if a letter is entered. For example I click in the Font combo box and type V trying to quickly find Verdana but nothing happens.
Will add to the list. An alternative keyboard method is to use the Font dialog (Ctrl+Shift+O, V, down arrow).

1) In the Data Explorer when clicking a - of a parent field it does not always collapse the group if you are selected on a child item.
This was fixed in 1.2 (in cases where 'Tools | Options | Trees | Single-click to expand an item' is checked -- if that's not the case, please provide more detail on reproducing this behavior).

2) Search always disables the Auto Hide feature for the Child Items. It would probably be best if the Search used its own results pane instead of the Child Items. I like to have the Child section smaller for most of my items but when searching I would want it to larger to display a lot more information.
On the list.

3) Most words with an Apostrophe like that’s or won't are not in the supplied dictionary and cannot seem to be added to the Dictionary when highlighted.
It appears that the spelling component we use doesn't identify the ’ apostrophe char (92 hex), only a regular ' apostrophe char (27 hex). BTW, how do you type ’ into the RTF editor?

Steve10
02-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by kinook
It's not likely we'll do this. Why would you want to have to remember different passwords for different items? Is the intent of this to allow user-level security within a database or something? [/B]

Programs like Microsoft OneNote and WinOrganizer support this. The reason it is important is I do not want to always have to enter a password each time I open my file using UR. There might only be a handful of topics that I really want to password protect.

Take for example most of the information I enter into UR is research on the web but there are also some pages that I add that have passwords or other personal information stored in them. These are the pages I would like to assign a password to. Keep in mind I would prefer it to be the same password for all those pages. I do not want to assign unique passwords to each page but that might be a good enhancement for others.

Maybe the compromise would be to add a feature that flagged a page password protected using the global password as part of the Item Attributes or something. Pages that are not flagged would not be protected. That way if I had 100 pages I could flag 5 or so to be protected using the global password. The rest would not be protected allowing anyone to see this information.

When selecting a page that was flagged password protected it would then display the password dialog box allowing me to gain access to that page and all other pages flagged.

Steve10
02-02-2005, 11:08 PM
We'll investigate to see if this is possible

I sure hope you can make this one happen. Being that you have a built in browser I think many people have come to rely on the back button on their mouse to quickly move to the previous page.

I have become so dependant on that mouse button that I never click the Back or Forward button in the Browser.

It’s just like the wheel on the mouse which I notice you do support in your browser as well as any other page in UR. That’s another great time saver.

Steve10
02-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Steve10
I sure hope you can make this one happen. Being that you have a built in browser I think many people have come to rely on the back button on their mouse to quickly move to the previous page.

I have become so dependant on that mouse button that I never click the Back or Forward button in the Browser.

It’s just like the wheel on the mouse which I notice you do support in your browser as well as any other page in UR. That’s another great time saver.

This works GREAT in the new 1.2a version!

THANK YOU for adding this.

SteveZ
02-18-2005, 08:48 AM
[B]3) Add Tables like in Word.
Enhancements to the RTF editor are on our list.

I am all for adding enhancements to the RTF editor, but I beg you not to sacrifice the nice extended selection capabilities your simple editor now has. For instance, being able to double click a word and then continue to select whole words by continuing to move the cursor in one direction or the other; and triple clicking to select a whole paragraph, and then continuing to select whole paragraphs by moving the cursor. Almost every time a developer "improves" the RTF editor, they lose this extended selection ability and that diminishes the program as a place to actually compose writing, versus snatching it from elsewhere.

Thank you.