PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled Build not work ??

matt.fyr
09-20-2004, 03:03 AM
Hi,

I'm using VBP 5.5 which I upgrade from v4.7 few months ago, this is my first time that I try to use Scheduled task to run VBP project.

I followed the guide on the help both automatic and manual setup, my problem is as follows:

- There is no different when I run VisBuildPro.exe and VisBuildCmd.exe, there's no GUI showing for the first one wheh a schedule starts...?

- A more serious problem, when the build finish (which I can detect from the log file generated), the process is just hanging there without return any code, no matter that the build has any fails or not! I check windows scheduler log c:\WINNT\SchedLgU.Txt, it just said the task was started but no result is return (and the process is keep running)

So the next schedule time cannot start at all, until I goto stop the task the keep running first !

Did I miss anything? I run on Windows 2000 Server with all SPs, and have VS .Net 2003/ VSS6 installed as well.

I'm sure it's not windoes scheduler problem, since I try to run a small .bat file, it works correctly. And even though I try to start VBP project with this .bat file, the process is also still hanging.

I don't know if I miss any setting in VBP project to return the result code or not?

Thanks.

//matt

kinook
09-20-2004, 07:56 AM
One other user reported a similar problem on Windows 2000 Server [1]. Since that is the only environment where this problem has been reported (for the other user, the same scheduled task worked properly on another machine [not sure which Windows version]), I suspect there is in fact a bug in Scheduled Tasks on W2K Server (it could also be a bug in VBP that only manifests on that platform, but there have been many known bugs in Scheduled Tasks, so I'm leaning more that way). The thread below provides some alternatives, and we'll do some testing on W2K Server to rule out a VBP bug being the cause.

[1] http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=548

matt.fyr
09-21-2004, 06:24 AM
hi,
i think it's a integrated problem with VBP with Windows 2k server scheduler service, as I mentioned the normal .bat script file can be runned with scheduler without a problem.

Can you help me test and find a work around as soon as you can?
Right now I have to build stuffs manually or have to goto stop the schedule task each time I want the build job to run at night...

I have explored the link you gave, I have to use AT which gave the same problem, the last alternative to use 3rd party software I haven't tried that yet...

Thanks

kinook
09-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Enable file logging and post (or send to support@kinook.com) the log file for the build that is hanging. Also, does VBP log anything to the Application section of the Windows Event Viewer during the scheduled build?

matt.fyr
09-23-2004, 04:06 AM
Hi,
Sorry to take a few days before I can reproduce a log file,
I attach the zip file that contains, VBP log, Windows Scheduler log and screen dump of the Windows Scheduler after the VBP project is finished as you can see it always indicate that the job is still running and keep saying this forever so next build cannot start until I stop the task manually.

In the windows log, SchedLgU.txt, it said when the task started but no result ever return from VBP job.

My enrivonment runs on VSS6 sp6, VS .Net 2003, Windows 2000 advance server, InstallShield X.

Please let me know if you can test or reproduce such this scenario.

Thanks in advance

kinook
09-23-2004, 01:44 PM
We have not been able to reproduce this behavior. Since the build is actually finishing, what you could do is add a couple steps at the end of the build to terminate the VBP process after completion (sample attached).