PDA

View Full Version : Make VB6 Error

rusha
04-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi,
Seems simple, but, I get the following error when I try to run a 'Make VB6' step:

"building...Failed to create process: The system cannot find the path specified."

I browse to my *.vbp, VisBuildPro sets the path accordingly, I Test and get the above error.

My vb6 resides in c:\devstew\vb98, which is reflected in the VB6 Macro, but it seems like VisBuildPro still can't find my VB6.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

kinook
04-28-2004, 03:22 PM
On the Options tab of the Make VB6 action, check the 'display the compiler command-line...' and build. If the vb6.exe path it is using is incorrect, browse to or enter the full path + filename for your vb6.exe in the 'Override default location...' field. See the Make VB6 help topic for more details.

rusha
04-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Excellent, displaying the command line was the key. VBP was looking for vb6 in c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vb98

Is it reading that from the Registry? A System Variable? I'd like to change it so I don't have to hand code the vb6 location for every Make VB6 command.

Thanks!

kinook
04-29-2004, 02:02 PM
From the Make VB6 help:

"Override default VB compiler location: Normally, the action looks for the command-line VB compiler by looking for this registry entry: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisualBasic.Project\shell\Make\c ommand\ and extracting out the exe filename. By providing a full path and filename for this field, that executable will be used instead."

which is normally created during VB6 installation.

You can also multi-select your Make steps, and set the override value to a macro (i.e., %VB%). Then if the location changes, you just need to change one macro value.