PDA

View Full Version : Make VB6 preserving compatability

johnny
04-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi there,

Has anyone found a way to automate the Make VB6 step so that when a project is set to build with binary compatibility, and a developer has added an optional parameter to a public sub/function, then VBPro will continue to build preserving compatability.

When compiling the project using VB, the developer will get a warning screen regarding the break of compatibility, but can still complete the compilation preserving compatibility.

I know there are problems that could occur continuing to do this, but when I run this through VBPro, I don't have the same flexibility to continue whilst preserving compatibility.

Any thoughts folks?

Regards,
Johnny.

kinook
04-19-2004, 02:13 PM
If this happens often, you can use the 'Set projects to project compatibility before building' option on the Make VB6 step to ensure any breaking changes will build without complaint.

If this happens infrequently, you might consider instituting a policy that developers must update and check in the individual VBP whose compatibility is being broken, set to project compatibility, along with the breaking source code change, and use the 'Set projects to binary compatibility after building' option in the Make VB6 action to ensure all projects get set back to binary compability after every build.

See this FAQ for additional options: http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=57