PDA

View Full Version : Search by User Defined Key

armsys
04-01-2009, 02:35 AM
Is it possible to search a portion of a user defined key?
Say, a key is defined as "USC 1234". Is it possible to search "USC" while setting "Search only user-defined keywords" on? So far my partial user defined keyword search fails.

In "Advanced" mode, it seems the Search requires a pair of double quotes to enclose the character string to be searched. Is it true?

Thanks in advance.

Armstrong

kinook
04-01-2009, 09:22 AM
I assigned the user-defined keyword 'USC 1234' to the Tasks item and 'USC 5678' to the Notes item, then did a quick search (user-defined keywords only) for USC, and it matched both of those items.

In advanced search mode, double-quotes are used for phrase searches.
http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manual/phrasesearch.htm

armsys
04-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Kinook,
Thanks for your thorough reply.
My original question was erroneously posted.
The User Defined keywords involved are court case number as follows:
USC 07/10000
USC 08/10001
USC 09/10002
USC 09/10003
USC 09/10004
USC 09/10005

1. You're correct when searching "USC". Indeed, all items with key "USC" can be found.
2. With "Search only user-defined keywords" ON, searching "USC 07", "USC 08", or "USC 09" (without the the pair of double quotes) will fail.
3. With "Search only user-defined keywords" OFF, searching "USC 07", "USC 08", or "USC 09" (without the the pair of double quotes) will succeed.
4. That indicates, with "Search only user-defined keywords" ON, searching partial key is apparently not supported.
5. In fact, with "Search only user-defined keywords" ON, all following scenarios fail:
(a) USC 0
(b) USC 09
(c) USC 09/1005
(c) 09
(d) 1005
6. Paragraph 5 may suggest with "Search only user-defined keywords" ON:
(a) Search begins from the left most word;
(b) partial search not supported;
(c) multiple words (USC 09/10005) not supported, unless it's enclosed in a pair of double quotes.

Armstrong

kinook
04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Usually, keywords don't contain punctuation or spaces (auto-generated keywords never will). When a word containing punctuation or spaces (unquoted) is entered in a quick search, UR abreaks the search into separate keyword searches (i.e., USC and 07 in this case), but this won't match on a single keyword containing 'USC 07'. Placing the value in double quotes (i.e., quick search of "USC 07") causes UR to not split the search text on punctuation/space characters and will match.

armsys
04-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Kinook,
Thanks a lot for explaining the nuances when creating user-defined keywords. Then, it's no longer an issue anymore. All I have to do is to remove all punctuations and spaces in the keyword. Problem solved. Thanks.
Armstrong