PDA

View Full Version : How to have first line of note appear in explorer pane

StephenUK
05-23-2008, 11:52 AM
One feature I liked in InfoSelect was that when creating a text note I could have first line of that text note appear as the title of the note in the explorer bar. For example, if I create a text note "Conversation with Peter 12 Jan", I like that to appear by default in the explorer bar as well, without my having to type it twice. (Nor do I only want it to appear in the Explorer bar).

When pasting into UR this functionality exists and works very well. (And I suppose therein lies one roundabout solution to my question - if I delete a note I create and then re-paste it). However, is there any simpler way allowing the first line of a note automatically to appear in the Explorer pane?

(Incidentally, in InfoSelect, this facility is merely an option, since presumably not everyone would wish this behaviour).

ashwken
05-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Stephen,

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but...

In the Detail Pane you can select a text string and press <F2>, this will Rename the Item to the selected text.

EDIT: Works the same for Item Notes Pane (Ctrl-5).

StephenUK
05-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Ashwken, many thanks for that. That's very nifty since it allows me to choose which line in the note appears in the Explorer bar.

Nice little feature and better than I was asking for in many ways!

armsys
05-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ashwken
In the Detail Pane you can select a text string and press <F2>, this will Rename the Item to the selected text.
Hi Ashwken,
I didn't know this time-saving keyboard shortcut. Before I've to go to the Data Explorer (Ctrl+1) to rename the Info Item. Thanks a lot.
Armstrong

ashwken
05-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Yes, this does add a level of flexibility beyond simply defaulting to the first line, which can be acheived by typing the desired text then <Shift-Home> + <F2> + <End> and continue typing.

If you find that you are doing this on a consistent basis (first line = Item Title) you might consider creating a custom Form which contains the single Attribute [Item Title], then assign this Form to the default UR Text Template (set the Item Title Attribute to blank). Also look at Tools | Options | Misc | Selection/Focus Behavior - Set focus to Form when inserting.

In usage, type the desired text in the Form's only field, then <Tab> to the Detail Pane viewer area.

If you go the Form route there's an inherent advantage when using Alt-Z to preface the Title - the cursor is at the end of the Alt-Z value which allows you to continue typing your descriptive text.

When Alt-Z is invoked from the Data Explorer the cursor defaults to the Home position of the Title string.

Still, there might be some merit in Stephen's original example of a default setting - just depends on your workflow and the desired results.