PDA

View Full Version : memory leak

janrif
03-14-2008, 02:04 PM
I am asking the following question on 5 different forums that reflect the 5 programs I use through my work day. The question is:

Is there a memory leak in UltraRecall Pro?

Jon Polish
03-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't see one here.

Jon

armsys
03-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by janrif
Is there a memory leak in UltraRecall Pro?
What events lead you to believe the memory leak?
Is it a beta version?
Armstrong

janrif
03-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Armstrong,

I'm on beta 3.5, most current

Nothing particular to UR, just a general slow down after a few hrs. I've posted the same question on 5 forums for the 5 programs I use daily.

Finally, I think the culprit may be FF but not quite sure yet.

armsys
03-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by janrif
[B]Armstrong,
I'm on beta 3.5, most current

The Beta by the same version number 3.5 has been updated on March 13.
I always run four instances of huge URDs without noticeable performance deterioration.

BTW, what's FF mentioned in your post?

Armstrong

janrif
03-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by armsys
The Beta by the same version number 3.5 has been updated on March 13. Yes, thank you. I am running that beta
Originally posted by armsys I always run four instances of huge URDs without noticeable performance deterioration. This may answer my question
Originally posted by armsys BTW, what's FF mentioned in your post? Sorry.... Firefox

kevina
03-15-2008, 09:20 AM
My experience with FF (which I believe is typical), is that keeping several tabs open will cause FF to continue using/leaking memory until it is consuming 200+ MB of memory which, if you have a relatively small amount of ram installed (I have 2GB) will undoubtedly cause performance issues... That is my main problem with FF (version 2.x), I am hoping that version 3.0 (which I think is still in beta) will fix this annoying issue...

Sometimes I will use Task Manager to "kill" FF when the memory usage gets too high, then restart it (which preserves the open tabs).

On the other hand, if I simply want to keep the multiple FF tab urls for future use/reading, or want to restart Windows, I simply hold the Shift key when clicking the Store or Link UR toolbar button (in FF) and put them all into UR :)

janrif
03-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by kevina
My experience with FF (which I believe is typical), is that keeping several tabs open will cause FF to continue using/leaking memory until it is consuming 200+ MB of memory [snip] if I simply want to keep the multiple FF tab urls for future use/reading, or want to restart Windows, I simply hold the Shift key when clicking the Store or Link UR toolbar button (in FF) and put them all into UR :) Aha. That's probably it. Damn good advice. Thanks.