PDA

View Full Version : open external - not

janrif
01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Two things in this area:

1. focus on URL, context menu, open external = nothing happens

2. open URL within UR browser & click on internal link in web page = nothing happens.

I ran compact / repair
I checked options / browser extensions

Who's got an idea for me? Kinook? Anyone?

kinook
01-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Both actions result in a call to the Windows ShellExecute (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762153.aspx) API, but I don't know why Windows doesn't process that call properly on your computer when UR calls it. Something sounds a bit flaky with Windows. Is this something that used to work and stopped working? Did you install, uninstall, or update any software and/or run Windows Update on your computer recently?

janrif
01-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Yes, this used to work. I have updated programs on my system but not windows itself.... well maybe a hotfix a while back. Is it possible that the API needs to be re-installed? or Is it possible it has something to do with FF being my default browser outside of UR. Do you think I should run the regfix to make sure IE is UR default?

kinook
01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by janrif
Yes, this used to work. I have updated programs on my system but not windows itself.... well maybe a hotfix a while back.It sounds like an update or installation mucked up something with Windows.

Is it possible that the API needs to be re-installed?There is no specific installer for that API. It's part of Windows, and Windows updates or other programs could affect its operation by updating system DLLs and/or the registry.

or Is it possible it has something to do with FF being my default browser outside of UR. Do you think I should run the regfix to make sure IE is UR default? I don't see why that would matter. You could try making IE the default browser for Windows, then running Firefox and making it the default again, I guess. Or try repairing Windows or uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox.

janrif
01-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Opened IE6 (IE7 needs XP +) & reset all defaults in properties.

Now I can open a linked web page within UR however a click on any link within that page will call IE & open within it.

So now the question is: why can't I click on link & have that page open within UR since it looks to me like IE is the default browser?

armsys
01-09-2008, 05:47 PM
janrif,
Originally posted by janrif
So now the question is: why can't I click on link & have that page open within UR since it looks to me like IE is the default browser?
On the menu bar, select Tools | Options | Browser, uncheck "Launch shortcuts in external browser window by default".

Armstrong

janrif
01-09-2008, 05:59 PM
stuipid me. sometimes one misses the trees for the forest. That did it. Thanks Armstrong.

armsys
01-09-2008, 09:14 PM
janrif,

I'm delighted that your puzzle has been resovled. And I'm indebted to the scores of tips you extended to me recently.

Armstrong