PDA

View Full Version : how do I make rolling date reminders...

wordmuse
11-28-2007, 02:03 PM
like the ones that come with a new URP3 file in the Events searches.

When I try to create one from scratch, I can't get the date to roll. In other words, if I want to see what's coming up in the next 7 days, as time marches forward, I should lose view of yesterday's items and acquire a view of those that were 8 days out but are now 7.

But what I get is a hard-coded date, and the view is static.

Hopefully this is described clearly enough. Let me know if not.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Regards,
Bal

ashwken
11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by wordmuse
Which sample db is this in?

wordmuse
11-28-2007, 02:37 PM
I create a new file. Then in the searches, there's a folder called "Events." You'll find the searches I'm talking about in there.

Regards,
Bal

ashwken
11-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Bal,

Just Wondering if this has bearing...

In your new Advanced Search did you check "Store dates relative to the current date"?

From the Help File (Relative Dates):

The Store dates relative to the current date checkbox available to Advanced Searches allows you to specify dates that will remain a relative distance from the current date.

As an example, assume today's date is 10/1/2004 and you specify a Criteria Row date Value of 9/15/2004 (which is 15 days prior to today's date of 10/1/2004). If you check the Store dates relative to the current date checkbox, the search Value will be stored not as the absolute value of 9/15/2004 but rather will compute a date 15 days prior to the current date whenever the Search is executed.

This feature enables you to create searches like the default Saved Search named Recently Viewed.

janrif
11-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by wordmuse

When I try to create one from scratch, I can't get the date to roll. In other words, if I want to see what's coming up in the next 7 days, as time marches forward, I should lose view of yesterday's items and acquire a view of those that were 8 days out but are now 7.

But what I get is a hard-coded date, and the view is static.

Hopefully this is described clearly enough. Let me know if not.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Regards,
Bal

advanced search
begin date less than or = to 7 days hence
and
begin date greater than or equal to tomorrow
and
flag not equal completed
all dates relative

Does that help?

wordmuse
11-28-2007, 06:16 PM
No. I tried that already.

Let me describe this further.

What happens is that I'm given a choice to choose a date. A specific date. I *can* set that out a week from today.

Then I change my computer's system date.

The searches that are in the Events folder with every new file have their relative dates changed with the system clock.

The searches *I* create hold the fixed date.

Somehow there's something I'm missing. (Probably something obvious... mutter mutter.)

Regards,
Bal

wordmuse
11-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by ashwken
Bal,

Just Wondering if this has bearing...

In your new Advanced Search did you check "Store dates relative to the current date"?

You know - I should read things in order. That's exactly it. It *was* something obvious hang it all. :)

Thanks a million ashwken.

Regards,
Bal