PDA

View Full Version : recycle bin as parent

janrif
11-28-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't know if this was discussed before but wouldn't it make sense that a linked item that is later deleted would no longer show up as parent 'recycle bin' item?

kinook
11-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Each logical link is a distinct pointer to an item, and by design deleting a link moves it to the Recycle Bin. Use Shift+Del to permanently delete a logical link (instead of moving to the Recycle Bin), or delete it from or empty the Recycle Bin.

janrif
11-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by kinook
Each logical link is a distinct pointer to an item, and by design deleting a link moves it to the Recycle Bin. Use Shift+Del to permanently delete a logical link (instead of moving to the Recycle Bin), or delete it from or empty the Recycle Bin. I didnt' actually move it to recycle. I deleted item which went to recycle bin but I take it <DEL>, in & of itself, doesn't break the link. It requires <SHFT><DEL>. Is that right? If so, don't you think a <DEL> should break the link as well? It's disconcerting/confusing to see recycle bin listed as a parent IMO. I can remember to use <SHFT><DEL> but the less conversant user might not. Just my .02

ashwken
11-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Jan,

Perhaps it would help if you thought of the Recycle Bin as a "live" Folder the same as any other Folder in UR - or to think of the Recyle Bin as a Trash Can (whose contents can "stink" after a while).

Because the Recycle Bin is a "live" Folder, linked Items are not broken. Shift-Del will by-pass the Recycle Bin just as it does in Windows Explorer.

janrif
11-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by ashwken
Perhaps it would help if you thought of the Recycle Bin as a "live" Folder the same as any other Folder in UR [snip] Because the Recycle Bin is a "live" Folder, linked Items are not broken. Shift-Del will by-pass the Recycle Bin just as it does in Windows Explorer.
Thanks, It is a good way to think about it.

I guess in the recesses of my mind I'm thinking along the lines of an earlier post in which I suggested a completed item should no longer be allowd a reminder/recurring date, i.e. an automated action.

So.... I thought, why shouldn't an item registered as deleted (which is now automatically moved to recycle bin by UR) also have a function to remove any live link.

Oh well, back to my rock pile. Thanks for your help :)