PDA

View Full Version : important files to backup

janrif
05-04-2007, 09:04 AM
From upgrade notes:

# Important Notes When Upgrading
# Please be sure to backup any existing .urd data files before installing.
# We also recommend backing up all your important files on a regular basis.

What are the important files for URp besides urd data files?

quant
05-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I suppose they meant it in general, that it's a good practice to backup any important data on your computer that is not easily replicable

My laptop hard-disk died two days ago, fortunately I'm doing regular backups and also have a system backup on dvd, so recovery was almost without loss (I had some files that were not backed up for a few days, so only a little bit of swearing :) ).

janrif
05-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by quant
I suppose they meant it in general, that it's a good practice to backup any important data on your computer that is not easily replicable

My laptop hard-disk died two days ago,[snip]
Yikes... I think I'd have a heart attack. Do you know where URp stores all the customized information, i.e. views, toolbars, etc.

ashwken
05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by janrif
Do you know where URp stores all the customized information, i.e. views, toolbars, etc.

In the Registry ???

I wonder if any of this is stored in the actual .urd?

quant
05-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by janrif
Yikes... I think I'd have a heart attack. Do you know where URp stores all the customized information, i.e. views, toolbars, etc.

Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall\

get a backup harddisk (if you work on laptop there are usb powered ones), and back-up regularly. I do it only for about a year after sth similar happened to one of my colleagues ...

ashwken
05-04-2007, 11:03 AM
quant or Anybody,

Granted this is a bit off-topic...

Any experience or thoughts on USB - IDE Drive Enclosures?

With the price of USB memory sticks I've got to wonder if these are viable, course if you have a some older IDE drives available...

Or is "older" the sticking point, MTBF and all?

Just wondering,
KenA