PDA

View Full Version : Complex Search guidance

Rbrux
08-24-2006, 08:06 PM
I make extensive use of UR's advanced search facilities.

I continue to struggle however, with the operation of 'nested' searches (I think that's what they are called - I'm talking about searches that have the appearance of an outline).

Although I can usually structure a search that returns the results that I want and expect, it often involves much trial and error. Sometimes I just cannot understand why a particular search picks up (or fails to pick up) a particluar item.

Would it be possible for Kinook (whether by expanding the help manual or by a post to this forum) to provide some more detail about how nested searches work. A few example searches with notes comparing and explaining the particular results generated would greatly assist.

kinook
08-25-2006, 10:28 AM
If this doesn't help
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/searchcriteriaindenting.htm

provide some details on a search you're having difficulty constructing.

clarsen
10-27-2006, 11:51 PM
an example search i'm having trouble creating is one that lists "interesting" tasks where an interesting task is:

@Category does not equal deferred
and @Next action equals Yes
and Date completed equals ""
and ( Due date equals ""
or @category does not equal waiting
and Due date less than or equal to 1 week from today
or @Category equals waiting
and Due date less than or equal to today )

however, a task with category = waiting, due date 3 days from now shows up in the results.

the complex search is indented like above resulting in what i think is the correct parenthesization. I'm assuming that an expression x and y or z and w will have both x and y, z and w evaluated first before doing the 'or' of the two.

kevina
10-30-2006, 10:07 AM
The ORs in your criteria are likely not doing what you are expecting, my guess is that you really something like this:

@Category does not equal deferred
and @Next action equals Yes
and Date completed equals ""
and ( Due date equals ""
or (@category does not equal waiting
and Due date less than or equal to 1 week from today)
or (@Category equals waiting
and Due date less than or equal to today) )

which would be indented as above.