PDA

View Full Version : Question on Calling Subroutines

juklie
09-22-2003, 09:51 AM
Hi,

just a question of curiosity.

I tried creating a group in the "Subroutines Steps" tab, and under that group I placed other groups.

Main Group
- Child Group1
- Child Group2

I noticed that I can't call just one of the child group from a step in the project. I can only call the main group (root level) as a whole...

Is this by design, is there a reason I can't do this, or shouldn't?

In my case I used the "group" to categorize steps, so I could find them easily, but I don't necessarily want to call them all at the same time. I want to be able to call one child group, or many, as desired.

Does it sound reasonable? or shouldn't I do this? Would this be possible, maybe in the future?

Thanks.

julie

kinook
09-22-2003, 10:52 AM
By design, subroutines are defined as top-level steps on the Subroutine Steps tabs. You can use the 'View | Go to Top Level Step' functionality (Ctrl+G) to facilitate locating top-level steps if you have a lot of them.

I'm not sure that we would want to change this behavior. Some ambiguity gets introduced if subroutine entry points could be at any indentation level. There would also be compatibility issues with existing projects (since subroutines are identified by the step name, if an indented step happened to be named the same as a later top-level step, the indented step would now match the subroutine lookup instead).

juklie
09-22-2003, 11:07 AM
It was just a thought, but I guess its true that it could cause issues since the step name could be ambiguous...

I'll just have to live with the way it is :)

I really appreciate the quick reply.

Thanks

julie