PDA

View Full Version : Performance Bug? 1.4d

danson
03-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Possibly introduced in versions earlier to 1.4d but I've just upgraded from 1.4 to 1.4d and found that navigating the data explorer is MUCH slower.

For example when clicking on a + to expand an item can take up to 1 second delay to open. Before it was instantaneous.

Those 1 seconds add up to a big big annoyance so I uninstalled and reinstalled 1.4. Performance back to normal.

Just so you know I tested this on the completely empty default database so it's nothing to do with the size of my database.

If you want me to test version b and c I would be happy to but I need the download locations.

Daniel

kinook
03-29-2006, 09:35 AM
That is odd. We've been using 1.4d here since its release and haven't seen this problem, and it hasn't been reported by anyone before now. There was a minor update to the tree component we're using between v1.4 and v1.4d. Can you try copying SftTree_IX86_U_50.dll from the UR install dir (with 1.4 installed), then install 1.4d and replace that DLL with the version from teh 1.4 install and see if it makes a difference? Also post or send the info from Help | About | Install Info and info on any other resident software (anti-virus, WindowBlinds, etc.) on your system. Thanks.

danson
03-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Well guess what - I reinstalled 1.4d and it's working fine. It's *definitely* faster than before!

I haven't rebooted or changed anything from the time of the last post.

Perhaps a dodgy install first time round or something. Anyway - if you ever see this again an uninstall/reinstall should do the trick!

Dan

danson
04-19-2006, 10:14 AM
I've just worked out that the slow down was probably to do with the network. I'm running UR from my mapped network drive 'my documents'. Not a good idea. Deathly slow when the network is busy.

Now running off my local harddisk and it flys along!
Of course now I need to make good backups since I don't benefit from the central server backups.

Not sure if Kinook can get round this by caching a local copy and doing asynchronus updates to the 'master' copy over the network. Sounds clever and difficult...