PDA

View Full Version : UR Disses my Internet Connection

srdiamond
03-08-2006, 08:38 PM
When I try to import a web page and store it within UR, I get this error message:

"No internet connection found. Create info item(s) without keywords, content or icon information?"

When I choose "yes," the result is a link to the page instead of importing the content.

Any idea as to why UR thinks I don't have an active internet connection when I do? Does UR perhaps refuse to acknowledge my paltry dial-up connection as a real internet connection?

kevina
03-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Is the dialup connection active when the import is done? It actually should attempt to dial even if it isn't (and the dialup connection is configured for this), but your answer will narrow any testing we do to reproduce/fix any issues with dialup connections. What OS? I assume a regular analog modem? Does this occur consistently or randomly?

srdiamond
03-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by kevina
Is the dialup connection active when the import is done? It actually should attempt to dial even if it isn't (and the dialup connection is configured for this), but your answer will narrow any testing we do to reproduce/fix any issues with dialup connections. What OS? I assume a regular analog modem? Does this occur consistently or randomly?

The connection is active when the import is attempted. Operating System Windows XP Home. Yes, a regular analog modem. It occurs consistently when I try to import a web page by pasting or typing the url, but it works correctly when I select the page and chose Send to UR (copy) from the right click menu.

kevina
03-10-2006, 11:32 AM
We have done significant testing with a dialup connection (both with it already connected and disconnected but configured to auto-connect), and cannot reproduce the problem you have reported. If a dialup connection is already established, then it is used, otherwise, if configure to auto-connect then it prompts to dial...

Where are you pasting or typing the url to create the Info Items when you get the unexpected behaviour? Please provide more detail about what you are experiencing. I believe you have been using Ultra Recall for some time, did this problem just materialize, or has it always occurred?

The only issue we uncovered (which we don't consider serious) is that attempting to navigate to a http url with the Web Toolbar in Ultra Recall will not initiate a dialup connection if configured for auto-connect when no connection is present (but it works fine if the connection is already established)...

srdiamond
03-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by kevina
We have done significant testing with a dialup connection (both with it already connected and disconnected but configured to auto-connect), and cannot reproduce the problem you have reported. If a dialup connection is already established, then it is used, otherwise, if configure to auto-connect then it prompts to dial...

Where are you pasting or typing the url to create the Info Items when you get the unexpected behaviour? Please provide more detail about what you are experiencing. I believe you have been using Ultra Recall for some time, did this problem just materialize, or has it always occurred?

The only issue we uncovered (which we don't consider serious) is that attempting to navigate to a http url with the Web Toolbar in Ultra Recall will not initiate a dialup connection if configured for auto-connect when no connection is present (but it works fine if the connection is already established)...

I think I have the answer, and if this is right, UR's apparent misconduct is excusable. I'm using the preview version of IE7. UR, I think, interacts with an IE core component, and since it isn't encountering what it expects--I think the whole IE6 engine gets swapped out-- there could be problems. Since IE7 is unsupported, no one can complain.

I typed or pasted the urls in the import dialog. I choose import web page and put in the url. I don't recall whether I had done this before recently. I tend to cut and paste mostly. But if it is a new issue--could be--then this would explain its late development.

Resurgam
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
I can report the same problem, using the IE7 Beta, although Firefox is set as my default browser.

Resurgam
03-21-2006, 03:36 AM
I've just installed IE7 Preview Beta 2 (20 March build) which seems to have fixed this problem. Copying to UR via the IE7 toolbar button now appears to be working.