PDA

View Full Version : Can templates have Linked Attributes

sobko
01-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I would like to have a template for "Task" with a "Status" attribute. Values would include "Next Action", "Deferred", Etc.

When the user changes the status of a task, I would like the icon to change at the same time.

Can this be done?

I would also like the Tasks, which would be children of "Projects," to inherit as an attribute the Project from which they descend, regardless of how many levels they are nested below the project. I would like this because then I could do a search on all "next action" items and sort the result by project.

Any help would be appreciated.

sobko.

kevina
01-12-2006, 02:23 PM
There is no way to assign an icon value when an attribute value is changed, nor is the type of inheritance or an equivalent search available.

We do have scripting capabilities on our feature request list (which could accomodate your first request), and we'll record your second request as well (recognizing that both requests are quite complex and likely will not be implemented for some time).

sobko
01-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks! This is truly a great product.

Scripting is the single largest void in your product at present. If you opened the object model up to vb scripting, one could achieve just about anything I can think of.

Thanks again!

kevina
01-12-2006, 10:03 PM
After more thought I realized that while the processes you requested can't be fully automated, there are ways to streamline the process that you might not have considered.

Attached is small sample .urd file that demonstrates how you can use the Lineage virtual attribute to do the grouping/sorting of sub-tasks of Projects (see the "Project Tasks (by lineage)" saved search under Projects).

The other search called "Project Tasks (by status)" can be used to view tasks grouped by status. After the search runs, you can multi-select the tasks by status as necessary, then change the icon value in the Item Attributes pane. Not automatic, but quite straight-forward.

Thanks for the compliments for Ultra Recall! It sounds like you are doing GTD with Ultra Recall - I have been studying the methodology myself and hope to also create an implementation using Ultra Recall which I intend to blog about shortly (hopefully with a good sample)...

sobko
01-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks! That's awfully close to what I need, and it will certainly suffice.

sobko
01-14-2006, 04:25 PM
yeah, I've been working with the GTD method and it seems great so far. The big danger with the system seems to be that you can get too into the system and forget about actually doing the stuff on your lists!