PDA

View Full Version : I need help... I'm being stupid, I just know it.

ricochet
07-26-2005, 04:03 PM
For the life of me, I can't figure out how to create a new item based on that template that I want, where I want it. What I mean is this:

If I'm anywhere in the hierarchy, and want to create a brand new item based on a Note Template, I must choose the tiny dropdown arrown on the toolbar next to the Insert Button and select the last item. That works. I get that. But I'm a keyboard kind of guy, and would like to hit the Insert key, and have a brand new item created right where I am. But I want that item to be a Note item. Is there anywhere I can configure this default process?

In addition, if I just hit Insert, the new item becomes a Child of the item I'm on. I don't want to create a Child as a default -- I want a peer item. Which brings up the confusing issue -- the button to the right of Insert on the toolbar is Insert Sibling, which sounds like it will do what I want it to do. But that option creates a Folder item! Here's where it gets weird -- if I happen to be in the Imported Items Folder, and hit Insert Sibling, it creates a new Document item! ARGH.

Someone please explain this. I find that based on where I am and what I have highlighted, I can't predict what kind of item will be created and where (as a peer, or as a child).

kevina
07-26-2005, 05:03 PM
When you use Edit | Insert (Ins key) or Tree | Insert Sibling (Shift + Ins key), the Info Item created will be based on the Default Child Template Attribute value for the parent of the new item. You can confirm this verifying that the Default Child Template value for the Imported Items system Info Item is 'Document'.

Currently there isn't a short cut to directly specify an alternate template (from the assigned Default Child Template value) for a new sibling Info Item, but the required steps are straight forward, you first navigate to the parent existing sibling (Left Arrow), then use Alt+Ins.

ricochet
07-26-2005, 09:00 PM
What you're really saying is that the word "sibling" really refers to creating a new child beneath the parent item, and therefore it takes on the parent's default for children. Got it. I changed the default child attribute for the folder, and now when I hit shift-enter, I get a text item, just as I wanted.

Since I'm migrating from Info Select, I was used to creating a Note (what I'd consider a Folder in Ultra Recall) by hitting F11, and creating a text item by hitting F7.

It'd be great if we could configure two Insert Items to reflect two different templates... just a thought. Hitting a single button and starting to type is very handy in that way -- I don't have to worry about the parent item's attributes. But I'll get used to it soon enough, I guess. Thanks for the help!