PDA

View Full Version : office 2000 internal editing

port80
07-18-2005, 12:28 AM
I have office 2000. When I turn on internal editing of say a word or excel 2000 doc. All that get's displayed is about 5 or 6 garbage characters in the upper left corner of the item details page. I read the faq, followed the directions. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, Alan

kevina
07-18-2005, 09:31 AM
When you edit Office files internally, they are actually displayed/edited in the appropriate application hosted in the embedded instance of Internet Explorer (inside of Ultra Recall).

If the file you are editing is stored in Ultra Recall, then the stored data is first "reconstituted" as a file in the Ultra Recall temp folder, then the embedded instance of Internet Explorer in Ultra Recall is invoked to display it (which then creates the appropriate application to actually display the document).

One test you can use (for .doc files) is to try opening the same .doc file directly in Internet Explorer. Do they display properly that way? You can also try opening the temp file that Ultra Recall creates (for stored documents) in the Ultra Recall temp folder (%TEMP%\UltraRecall\) with the appropriate application (first "edit" the file in UR to create the temp file, then edit it directly before Ultra Recall is shut down as doing so will delete the temp file).

BTW, what version of Ultra Recall are you using (you can view this info at Help | About | Install Info...).

port80
07-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Duh, I get it. Folder options in Explorer. Not IE. It was late I wasn't reading clearly. I'll try that. My guess is it should work now.

port80
07-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Interesting. I checked my file types in explorer and the brows e in same window is checked for both xls and doc. I'm using the latest ur at 1.3b.

However when I open a document in IE it still opens an external instance of word or excel. I've got xp home which has latest service pack and fixes. So I'm not sure what's going on.

kevina
07-18-2005, 02:06 PM
My testing indicates that you must enter the appropriate url directly into Internet Explorer's address bar to have them open there (instead of opening in the associated application). Right-clicking on a file in Windows Explorer and choosing Open With "Internet Explorer" will instead open the documents in the associated application.

There might be settings in IE that modify this behaviour, but I am not aware of what they might be. Regardless, files properly configured in Ultra Recall (such as .doc/.xls) should open writeable correctly in the Internal Browser View (embedded Internet Explorer) in Ultra Recall. I only recommended attempting to open them directly as a test to verify that the problem wasn't something weird with Internet Explorer...

I assume that the documents do display correctly in Word/Excel respectively (even when they are stored in Ultra Recall)? Is the problem occuring with linked documents/stored documents or both?

Can you send an captured image (print screen, etc) of UR showing the "garbage characters" to support@kinook.com? That might help us understand what you are seeing.

port80
07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
My test Documents, word/excel, display properly when I right click in explorer and open with IE. And they are editable. I can save changes.

When I turn off the internal editing function in UR. I can open the file (which is not linked, it is stored directly in UR) from UR in the spawned instance of word or excel and again it is fine. I haven't even tried linked stuff. So let's leave that factor out for now.

I will forward you a screen snapshot of the characters.

kevina
07-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Ok, I believe you put the .xls/.doc extensions in the wrong options list.

It appears you added the file extensions to the File extensions to display in text editor: list (on the Tools | Options | Editor tab), when you need to add them to the File extensions to display in internal browser view: list (on the Tools | Options | Browser tab).

Let us know if that doesn't resolve the issue for you.

port80
07-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Sorry about that. I was originally doing this at 1:00am yesterday. I thought I read the faq clearly. I guess not. I shouldn't do anything new after midnight. Yes following the directions did take care of the problem.

This program does rock. Thanks for all your help. Sorry about the stupid user tricks.