PDA

View Full Version : Features to Manipulate Large Trees

srdiamond
07-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I like UR's model of a one-file database, but users like me will have to use several database files unless UR incorporates features to manipulate large trees in Data Explorer. The feature outliners have used for this since the 80s is a "hoist" command, where a particular heading is temporarily promoted to the root level, leaving only it and its children. I think UR needs such a feature badly.

There's room for some innovation here. Headings in Data Explorer necessarily occur in small font sizes to accomodate as much as possible at a time on screen. The font sizes of hoisted topics could be larger than on the unhoisted screen, since there's less to display. I think it would be really cool if the font sizes increased according to some reasonable progression, depending on how much of the outline is left. I have never seen this feature any where, so it might not even be possible to implement, just something that would be cool if it can be done readily. Basic hoisting is more a necessity.

Stephen R. Diamond

Daly de Gagne
07-10-2005, 07:34 AM
I concur with Stephen's emphasis on the need for a hoist command; it would assist greatly, and eliminate the need for having several UR files so as to make the tree easier to deal with.

Also, I like the idea that type size could change in accordance with the length of the tree list.

One change I would like to see made -- sooner, rather than later -- is word wrap for the tree based on the width of the tree pane.

Sometimes it is hard to avoid longish item names, and it is annoying to have to take time to shift the tree pane accordingly.

Daly

alx
08-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Just a note to concur with the above suggestion; my trees have grown too much for comfortable navigation.

kevina
12-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Please see http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1391 for a consolidated discussion on future enhancements of UR related to this topic.