PDA

View Full Version : Dragging and Search Items

sunsetandlabrea
06-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Hello,

I'm a new user to Ultra Recall and I've noticed something I've done a few times which is a bit of an annoyance. Sometimes I start to drag something and then realise that isn't what I want to do. I realise that esc works but I tend to drop it back onto itself out of habit. This causes it to create a child copy and I can't imagine a situation where I would ever want it to do that.

The other thing is that it would be really nice for the results of search items to actually appear in the data explorer as children of the item.

Many thanks for a great bit of software.

Richard

kevina
07-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

We will add your request (to cancel a drag operation when dropped on the original, perhaps as a user option) to our feature request list.

Are there other users with a different opinion on this potential change?

I have a question about your 'search items in tree' request:
- Would you expect these 'search links' to only be displayed when the search was executed until you navigate away, or permanently?
- If permanently, would you expect the list to automatically stay up to date with future changes to the Info Database?
-- If not, how would this "staleness" be conveyed to the user?
-- If so, the change becomes much more complex as every saved Search would have to be rerun/updated with every data change.
- Finally, if the search results were "linked" to each related Search, these items would be "Logically Linked", which would make the item appear to have multiple parents. I assume this is one of your goals? Just another consideration (some users might not want this behaviour).

sunsetandlabrea
07-11-2005, 09:43 AM
I have a question about your 'search items in tree' request:
- Would you expect these 'search links' to only be displayed when the search was executed until you navigate away, or permanently?
- If permanently, would you expect the list to automatically stay up to date with future changes to the Info Database?

Well I'll describe the ideal situation. If you currently click on a search item you get the search results panel. I would like those items appearing as a child of the search item but with the ability to close the using the +/- as in the standard tree. Again ideally everything would be dynamically updated but I can well believe there may be a performance impact. Tinderbox on a Mac (and soon Windows) has a similar concept of your search items called Agents. These have a specific query language and you have the option for the updates to run regularly or only when you request.

-- If not, how would this "staleness" be conveyed to the user?

If that is not possible then I think colour would probably the best indicator. I'll mention Tinderbox again because in that notes 'Yellow' with age. At first I thought this was neat but frivolous feature but in actual fact it is actually quite useful. A similar concept would probably work, obviously it would be nicer if it only changed colour if the data change had an impact on the particular search.

-- If so, the change becomes much more complex as every saved Search would have to be rerun/updated with every data change.

Yes.

- Finally, if the search results were "linked" to each related Search, these items would be "Logically Linked", which would make the item appear to have multiple parents. I assume this is one of your goals? Just another consideration (some users might not want this behaviour).

I hadn't consider any linking at all in my request.

In my particular document I have a to do list query which looks for items due today that are incomplete. In order to view this list I have to click on it, it would be nice instead to be able to have that node always expanded and see my current list. So linking wasn't on my agenda really.

Many thanks,

Richard