PDA

View Full Version : Applying Derived Templates

srdiamond
06-24-2005, 05:31 PM
When I create a derived template as a child of a template in the Templates Folder, one consequence is that the basic template that underlies it becomes harder to apply. When you later select the basic template to be created as a child, the derived template comes with it as a grand-child.

This is only a minor inconvenience: I simply delete the template's children in the new item. But I think having to do it means there's something faulty in the way I'm creating children or creating derived templates.

Is there a preferred way to do this that avoids the inelegance?

dasymington
06-26-2005, 05:04 AM
Stephen,

Drag and drop your derived template in the Explorer pane so that it becomes a child (rather than a grandchild) of the Templates folder. Don't know if that's what you're supposed to do, but it works for me.

Dave

kinook
06-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Each immediate child of the Templates item is a separate template, and a template also includes any of its children. In your case, it sounds like you have two distinct single-item templates, in which case they should each be placed as immediate children of Templates, as described by dasymington.