Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2024, 11:16 PM

Quick Search, Advanced Search: "OR" and (explicit) "AND" not working

Is it some registry setting, intervening here for me, or is it a general problem? I have tried new UR versions, and versions back to April, 2021 (!), and they (don't) work all the same, in QS (Quick Search), in this respect:

a b
Finds items with a and b

a AND b
Only finds items which contain a, "and", and b, i.e. the "and" is resolved literally, not the Boolean way

a OR b
Ditto: Items must contain a, "or", and b, in order to be found

Thus, QS "AND" search is without problems since it's implicit, whilst QS "OR" search is impossible; deletion, and then re-build, of the full-text search features (which I have always "on") does not help.

My Search Options: General: Automatically no, Select no, Focus yes, Highlight yes yes; QS: Incremental 0, Max 0, Enable no, Perform no, Match no, and my search options in the Search dialog (5 check boxes): all 5 no.

Same problem for "Search titles only".

Very weird: Since my option "Highlight..." is ON, a and b are highlighted, but the respective "and" or "or" in the texts (which, as said, are needed then in order for the item to be found to begin with) are not highlighted.

From your "Quick Search" help item, I understand that Boolean search is just an option (sic!), from within those 5 options (= check boxes) within the Search dialog itself, and obviously, those 5 options do NOT also comprise an option "and/or resolved Boolean" (instead of literally);

thus, I assumed that, since AND is implicit anyway, the help item is outdated, and both AND (which would be redundant) and OR (which would be needed in order to override the implicit AND) were systematically resolved as Boolean codes, but that's obviously not the case, so is there some "toggle", somewhere (except for the fact that setting "and" and "or" to literal resolution would not make much sense anyway, I suppose)?

Also, you write, in that "QS" help item,

"Promote to Advanced Search: the Advanced >> button will convert your QS into an equivalent Advanced Search"

Thus, I did that, for some a OR b in QS; the Advanced Search appeared, with "Item" (i.e. not "Item Text") ... "contains keywords" "a OR b" ("a OR b" in the same field, entered automatically from my QS).

Again, with the 5 (partly different here) check boxes, and clicking on the "Start" button found nothing; ditto after me changing "Item" to "Item Text".

(Of course, my "a" and "b" are real words which are found separately, or with implicit "and".)

(Or is it a fault in my UR installation again? Otherwise, after my "totally complete" (?) UR re-install (cf. my "Repair" thread), UR seems to work without fault though...)

EDIT:

In the context of the other (, allegedly DLL damage) problem referred to, above , it should be noted that the above OR / AND problems also occur with new, totally "fresh" UR DBs (even "factory", within the .urd format, and with just 2 or 3 trial / "dummy" items), created from "File - New" (i.e. not by using some "template" UR db of mine, open or not within the "disaster" period. - On the other hand, I think I remember that before that, "OR" worked as expected (?; while implicit "AND" always works correctly, so I had never tried explicit "AND" before). Btw, my "Spelling Options" are "all no", my "Custom dictionary" being "Custom.dic" (never touched), and my "AutoCorrect Options" also being "all no" (i.e. check-boxes de-selected, and logically with no "Exceptions").

Last edited by Spliff; 02-11-2024 at 01:16 AM.