Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2023, 06:37 AM

How would XML export work?

I have a sub tree with 1100 items, does NOT contain cloned items.

Export to CSV (children rec.) to file some.csv works > 1100 rows.

Problem 1:

Export to XML/OPML (children rec.), to file some.xml, even with just itemtitles and flag, let alone with itemtext or even itemcontent (rtf), produces monster files, I have to manually cancel. Example: stopped after about 40 minutes, over 200,000 times "outline created", while for itemcontent (rtf) not 1100 extra folders will have been created, but less than 300; this latter phenomenon may be caused by the fact that the other 800 items may not have content though, didn't check that.

It seems the special chars I use in the item titles are not at fault; when I export a tiny sub tree containing them, there is no problem. So it's the size of the sub tree, even without content? (Btw, the same problem occurs for ALL xml export "html" formats: none, dynamic outline, html, rss, static outline.)

Problem 2:

I don't want to mix it all up here, but when I export "Docs & Richtext to Folder (children rec.)" instead, the necessary folders / subfolders are created, BUT their names are so much shortened that the result is unusable, has nothing to do with Win 260 or 250 char limit, there would be plenty of "room" to get the folder names correct (haven't checked out the file names yet).

So, currently, I don't get even out just a full sub tree of reasonable length; it's true that with order-preserving search, I wouldn't need to. ;-)

Ad Problem 2:

Would like to know the cause for the terribly shortened folder names.

Ad Problem 1:

Did Compact & Repair. Same result.
Copied the whole sub tree into another db, then export from there. Same result.

Another sub tree, with 12,000 items, exported correctly (seemingly, didn't check the results, just counted them and verified the export here didn't get into an endless loop).

Have visually checked the faulty sub tree again and again, do not see any possible cause for that endless recursion - of course, how could it be otherwise, that's the one I would want to export.

What should I search the (at some time stopped, but then searchable by me) output .xml output file for, in order to "get" to the point of recursion in there, in order to identify the problem character within the output which triggers the recursion? (Has currently, and without any "text" or "content", just titles and flags, 23,000 times "outline created".

Have to say (tried 2 times) that the export from the sub tree in question doesn't contain any title from that sub tree, but while running endlessly, just elements outside of that sub tree (which opens / works totally normally from within the tree otherwise).

Problem 2: Answer pending.

Problem 1: Resolved:

Well, sometimes, I overlook the obvious. Don't have any SEARCH item within the sub tree you want to export! ;-)

Last edited by Spliff; 12-07-2023 at 09:51 AM.