Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 08-25-2007, 03:15 PM

shortcut for grouped attributes

<SHFT><CTRL>R is very handy to insert/add all necessary reminder attributes.

I would like to be able to do this for any grouping of attributes.

For example, I use a modified GTD system so I have a # of specific attributes set up & assigned to this system:

@ACTION
@CATEGORY
@PRIORITY
@WHO

I can add these attributes via template / form but I'd like to add these attributes as a group via shortcut key only into the attributes list w/o invoking a template/ form (similar to reminder).

I can't figure if this can be done. But if not, it might be a time saver.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:00 PM

RE: Work Around...

Gee wiz janrif, you really do keep pushing the boundary don't you?

Within a fairly short time of learning UR, I found myself rarely manually inserting attributes. However, I did notice that only one attribute at a time could be inserted.

When I tap <insert> in the Item Attributes pane, I would perhaps like to see something more akin to the Choose Columns dialog rather than the Insert Item Attribute dialog. I know you can create a new attribute on-the-fly with the later dialog box, however, I feel that is bad practise. I would suggest that adding a new attributes should be taken more seriously with the user being forced to go through [Tools | Attributes | Insert].

Anyway, back to your suggestion janrif. Let's say you put your GTD attributes in a group called @GTD. Might I propose that if you could "Insert" attributes using the Choose Columns dialog:
--- your @GTD attributes would be at the top
--- you'd tick the ones you want
--- click [OK]
--- fill in the values
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 AM

Thumbs up Re: RE: Work Around...

Quote:
Originally posted by zargron
Gee wiz janrif,you really do keep pushing the boundary don't you? [snip] Let's say you put your GTD attributes in a group called @GTD. Might I propose that if you could "Insert" attributes using the Choose Columns dialog:
--- your @GTD attributes would be at the top
--- you'd tick the ones you want
--- click [OK]
--- fill in the values
A user keyword type menu would definitely be a step in the right direction, definitely an improvement & a neat idea.

But it doesn't preclude a shortcut key. Both ideas could co-exist but a practical compromise might be to allow the user a few custom shortcut keys (like <SHFT><CTRL>R that could be assigned to attribute groups of choice.

The shortcut key idea won't work for everything because it's overuse would end up w too many useless fields in attributes. But it does work for groups like reminder & GTD.

I tjhink the ability to use attributes is one of URp's greatest strengths & I think it should be more user friendly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: