Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 09-02-2004, 04:59 AM

Unhappy “Class not registered” error under User account

I have a licensed Visual Build Pro 5.1 installed on a Windows 2000 PC. From an Adminstrators group account the application works with no trouble. However, from a Users group account I can open a project, but when I try to build or even access the help, I get a pop-up error dialog that says,

"Please run this program from the Administrator account so it can set up your license. Once the license is set up, you can run it from any account."

After closing this dialog, I get another dialog that says,

"Initialization of Visual Build Pro builder component failed: Class not registered"

Running the program from an Administrator account, as instructed by the first dialog, makes no difference.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Visual Build Pro to no avail. I checked the security settings on the VisBuildPro installation directory and everyone has execute permissions.

Curiously, I installed this system several months ago and it ran Visual Build Pro autonomously and daily using this now troublesome account with no trouble up until a few weeks ago. The only changes I believe were made to the system were regular McAffee virus profile updates. I tried disabling the virus scanner, but this made no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem?
Old 09-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Administrator

VBP requires that the user account VBP runs under have read/write access to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Licenses. This is normally added automatically during installation, but if those rights are later modified, they won't get updated by a later install. You will need to manually grant read/write or full control (to all users or the non-admin user account that VBP runs under) on that registry key. On Windows 2000, run RegEdt32, and navigate to that key, then choose Security | Permissions from the menu to set the key permissions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: