Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 02:39 PM

using Word templates

Is there a way to make URP3 use Word's normal template for RTF type items?

If so, I'd of course, want to be able to attach different Word templates if the need arises. But having it attach to Word's normal template would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Regards,
Bal
Old 03-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator

If you configure Word to internally edit RTF items.
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/internaloleedit.htm
Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 PM

Bal,

From Word, Open a new document (which is based on normal.dot), then save this document (as a .doc). You may want to save it with a significant name, and you may want save it to a particular folder.

For example, create a folder below your UR data location and name it \Word Templates, you can then use this location for any additional Word docs you create to be used as Word-based templates in UR.

You will need to set Tools | Options | Import - Insert imported items at selected item in Data Explorer pane, otherwise the import will dump into the Imported Items Folder (UR Template won't get created).

Also, set Tools | Options | Import - Store contents when importing. I'm not sure if this is critical, but it's what my settings are that work.

Be sure that Tools | Options | Document - File extensions to open writable contains .doc, and that Tools | Options | Browser - File extensions to display in internal browser contains .doc (this will keep Word from launching and allow you to edit within UR).

From UR Template Folder, File | Import the Word doc you just created, this will create a new UR Template which contains the imported Word doc.

You can now use this UR Template as the basis for new Items - it's actually a Word doc.

Building on this, you can create additional Word docs with different styling, default tables, whatever. Just save each Word doc as a separate .doc, then import to the UR Templates Folder.

This will also work for other Office programs. I recall a recent post from Kevin mentioning that Search results or Child Items can be dragged into an Excel file to perform calculations. I havn't tried this yet, but it sounds interesting.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:51 PM

Thanks a lot guys...

I'll give this a try tonight.

Regards,
Bal
Old 03-24-2007, 11:56 AM

I'm running Win XP SP-2, MS Office 2000 SP-3, UR v.3.0.2Pro

There are a couple of additional comments that I would add to this post:

My Options are set to always Store content when Importing.

1. The omissions that I would add are that after Importing a Word doc to the UR Template Folder, for the new Item created I then delete the value in the URL Attribute field (do a Ctrl-4 to show the Items Attributes Pane, the URL Attribute is found under the Document group).

2. For Tools | Options | Documents - Prompt before updating for local copy of Stored Document is Unchecked.

I don't know what, if any, bearing either of these omissions have on getting my posted instructions to work - I think I may have had to do this to keep the UR Template from taking on the edits of it's derived Item, but I'm just not sure (I didn't keep notes).

All I can say is that these are my settings and they work on my system. My apologies if these omissions have caused problems.

I will say that when creating a new item from a UR Template based on a Word doc, after editing in the diplayed Word doc even though I Save within the displayed Word doc, when moving focus to a new Item UR will still flash a synchronizing screen. I don't know what it's synchronizing to in light of my above settings (possibly the original UR Template - ??? - maybe this is just an internal database thing).

Later,
KenA