View Single Post
Old 11-25-2004, 07:14 AM

Yeah, I do like Note Studio for what it is: a very simple, usable tool for completely organic organizing. Ultimately, however, I need a little more structure than it provides, and since I also deal with various types of documents and images in my work, it makes sense to me to integrate a lot of that into one tool instead of just linking to external files for everything.

One benefit of the "single file" approach that Ultra Recall offers is that I can take my work onto my laptop simply by copying that one file and I then have access to all my important documents, project materials, etc.

I also think MyInfo is okay for what it offers, but the main drawback for me was also that I would need to manage quite a few different files to accomplish my information management tasks. The flexibility of Ultra Recall's item attributes lets me do pretty much everything I want to do within one file.

I have mixed feelings about ADM. I do think it offers a unique approach, and I think it does facilitate quick brainstorming. However, the interface just isn't as intuitive or stable as UR.

One of the drawbacks of any of the more storage/retrieval oriented tools, including UR, are that they are less effective for quick outlining for brainstorming, at least in the sense that each brainstormed thought becomes its own item. This is certainly possible to do in the tree, but I find I still BrainStorm preferable for this sort of work. At the end of a brainstorming session, I can simply write the BrainStorm file to a text file and include this in UR for reference.