View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 PM

Bal,

From Word, Open a new document (which is based on normal.dot), then save this document (as a .doc). You may want to save it with a significant name, and you may want save it to a particular folder.

For example, create a folder below your UR data location and name it \Word Templates, you can then use this location for any additional Word docs you create to be used as Word-based templates in UR.

You will need to set Tools | Options | Import - Insert imported items at selected item in Data Explorer pane, otherwise the import will dump into the Imported Items Folder (UR Template won't get created).

Also, set Tools | Options | Import - Store contents when importing. I'm not sure if this is critical, but it's what my settings are that work.

Be sure that Tools | Options | Document - File extensions to open writable contains .doc, and that Tools | Options | Browser - File extensions to display in internal browser contains .doc (this will keep Word from launching and allow you to edit within UR).

From UR Template Folder, File | Import the Word doc you just created, this will create a new UR Template which contains the imported Word doc.

You can now use this UR Template as the basis for new Items - it's actually a Word doc.

Building on this, you can create additional Word docs with different styling, default tables, whatever. Just save each Word doc as a separate .doc, then import to the UR Templates Folder.

This will also work for other Office programs. I recall a recent post from Kevin mentioning that Search results or Child Items can be dragged into an Excel file to perform calculations. I havn't tried this yet, but it sounds interesting.