View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

I was not able to reproduce this behavior on a Windows 2000 SP4 test box with the eval version of FProt (labeled as v3.16f on their web site; I accepted all installation defaults) and UR 2.0. We'll need more info to investigate further, including:
1) The version and SP of Windows you're running
2) Computer hardware description (CPU, RAM, free disk space, etc.)
3) The version of FProt you're running
4) FProt configuration settings and/or files

It's possible that the problem will only occur if UR runs at startup. To test that, boot to safe mode and use RegEdit to delete the registry value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\Ultra Recall", then restart Windows and start UR after startup is complete.

It's more likely a problem with FProt than UR itself (perhaps it has trouble processing files that UR installs), since anti-virus software hooks into Windows at a low level, while UR runs as a regular application. You might submit the issue to the vendor of FProt and see if they will investigate or provide suggestions.

It's interesting that the lockup occurs even after UR was uninstalled. The UR installer copies files only to the install path and removes them during uninstall (I suppose Fprot may have copied these files elsewhere for its purposes or something). The only registry entry UR creates that would affect the system in any way is the entry mentioned above, which simply causes UR to be started at login, and that also gets removed during uninstallation.