PDA

View Full Version : refreshing linked windows folders?

igoldsmid
01-11-2006, 10:51 PM
When a windows folder is linked to UR - at the time of linking I notice it imports/links the then existing folder contents. When the windows folder contents are changed, UR doesn't 'know' this and so having a linked windows folder in UR is merely a single snapshot at the time of linking.

Obviously, to me anyway, it would much better to have any windows folders that I have chosen to link in UR, to have any changes in its contents automatically updated into UR - and in addition, to have a choice of one way or bi-directional automated sync - with the attendant conflict resolution options configurable.

I imagine this has been covered before? Sorry if this a nagging repeat. Is this in the plan?

kevina
01-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Bi-directional synchronization of files and Outlook objects is on our feature request list, but a way to re-synchronize an imported folder was added to Ultra Recall with version 1.4.

Ultra Recall 1.4 introduced Folder Synchronization (http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/?foldersynchronization.htm) capabilities, which will facilitate your request.

igoldsmid
01-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi Kevin

I understand how to do that now thanks!.

I did a test, imported a folder as a link, then re-imported as described, and got the access violation as per attached screen shot.

IJG

kevina
01-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Does this occur every time you re-import the folder? How about if you create a new Info Database and import/re-import it there? How big is the entire folder being imported? Could you zip and email the new .urd file and the folder being imported (with the minimal contents necessary to reproduce the error) to support@kinook.com for our review? We haven't seen or received reports of this error before.

dasymington
01-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Folder synchronization gives the following error when I try it:

Error importing files: Recursive linking is not allowed

and the process stops. What does it mean?

igoldsmid
01-12-2006, 05:13 PM
must have been a one off issue...

kevina
01-12-2006, 09:07 PM
If you import a folder, then reimport that same folder but to itself (instead of its original parent or some other location), then the logic that prevents duplicate urls will try to create a recursive logical link, which is not allowed (hence the error message and the halted import).

Here is an ASCII art explanation:
Root Item
..Imported Items <- you initially import a Test folder here
....Test folder <- if you later re-import same Test folder here (or below), a recursive link would be created (which is disallowed)
......Test subfolder

dasymington
01-13-2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks, I understand now; I should have realised that.

Would this be an easier way of resynchronizing and re-keywording imported folders and files than the one you describe in http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1144 ? Or would it not work that way?

kevina
01-13-2006, 08:29 AM
No, re-importing (with the option to logically link duplicate urls) will only create missing Info Items, it won't re-sync existing ones.

I know using the Import Wizard to re-import is simple, but the resyncing method seems even simpler yet to me (at least it is less steps to initiate). To re-sync, you just select the desired Info Items, then click the Synchronize button...

dasymington
01-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the difference now.