PDA

View Full Version : database is locked

dspady
09-19-2005, 11:29 AM
i recently opened a database and started to do a search on it. When I got some items to look at and clicked on one of them I got a message, and subsequently several other messages as I clicked on other tree items to see what was going on.
The messages were:
Error updating access date: database is locked
Error expanding tree: database is locked.
Error loading pane: database is locked.
When I looked at the help for "database is locked" I got some stuff that appeared to deal with networking and shared databases. My database is NOT shared and is NOT on a network. When I looked at the directory in which my file resides I noticed that it had a new file with the extent:
urd-journal.
This seems to occur only in association with a search.
When I tried to reset the search I got the message:
Error committing transaction: cannot commit transaction-SQL statements in progress.
Also, I do not seem to be able to use the Search for: box. I have to use the advanced search box.
What is going on. I copied a backup version of the file to my directory and the same thing is occurring. Do I have a corrupt Ultra Recall, or what?
This is potentially a big problem to me.

kevina
09-19-2005, 11:45 AM
The only time we have seen "database is locked" error is with concurrent usage by multiple users or when cancelling a search or navigation using the Item Text or Item Notes virtual attributes... Are you using either of these virtual attributes in the Child Items Pane? There is currently an issue when cancelling an operation (search or Related Items Pane population) that uses these virtual attributes.

It is recommended to only use these attributes when necessary to achieve true "phrase searching" as they are inefficient attributes (computed values at run-time), are not indexed, and can cause the reported error if the operation is cancelled shortly after it is started.
This "cancellation" can occur when
1) Cancelling search using one or both of these attributes (as a criteria or displayed in the Search Results Pane)
2) or nearly immediately halting population of the Related Items Pane when one or both of these attributes is displayed there (this population is cancelled when quickly navigating before this pane is completely populated).

Note: this error does not indicate any data or application corruption, it is a limitation with how these virtual attributes are implemented by the data engine of Ultra Recall. When this error is encountered, currently the only solution is to restart Ultra Recall. When a workaround is found to fully prevent the error (while preserving the provided functionality) it will be provided.

dspady
09-19-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm not quite sure I follow your reply but as long as the file is not damaged I can work around it.
Many thanks for the very rapid response.

hartmut
01-28-2006, 10:36 AM
I come back to this tread as I have the error message
"Error updating access date: database is locked"

I have imported from some CD pdf.-files. (Imported not linked)
After searching I receive:

"Click here to open stored document
Click here to open linked document"

When the Cd is still in the CD-Reader

When the CD is not in the CD-Reader I receive only:

"Click here to open stored document"

When I try to open the stored document document I receive the above error message, but the document will open.

In the path were the *.urd file is located there I find then some files like:
promobil.urd-mj7F1D8AB3
"promobil.urd" is my UR-File
Hartmut

kevina
01-30-2006, 07:58 AM
The "Click here to open linked document" hyperlink will only be displayed when the "linked" document is available (ie. the document referenced by the url attribute exists). If the url attribute references a file on a cd, and the cd is removed, that link is expected not to be displayed.

When I try to open the stored document document I receive the above error message, but the document will open.
In the above statement, you say you get the error, but "...the document will open". Did you mean the document will NOT open, or is Ultra Recall functioning normally but just showing the "database is locked error"?

The extra file(s) with names related to your .urd file are journal files (created by the database engine used by Ultra Recall when changes are made) or cache files. Both of them should be cleaned up automatically when the Ultra Recall application is exited.

hartmut
01-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Thank you kevina,
when I say "the document will open," the document will be displayed, as it is a Pdf-file. in acrobat reader,
UR shows the error-window and after confirmation with "OK", the file is shown in acrobat reader, as it is a pdf-file

regards
Hartmut

kevina
01-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Our tests cannot reproduce that error message. Once the document is stored as an Info Item, it should no longer matter where the document came from concerning opening it later from Ultra Recall (opening the link obviously will...).

Do you consistently get this error message?
 - every time you Open Document on this Info Item?
 - for other Info Items created for this pdf document?
 - for Info Items created for other pdf files?
 - if you delete the url value for the Info Item?

hartmut
01-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Hello Kevina,

I tried following

I deleted some pdf. files on my hard disk and opened them in UR as stored in UR files ( the "open linked document" command did not appear)
At the first time opening I received the error message. The second try was successful without the error message.

Could it be that the problem is the write protection on the files of the CD?
regards Hartmut

kevina
02-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Has this error reoccured? A minor change was introduced with Ultra Recall 1.4c which may have eliminated this error message in your situation (I can't confirm since we can't reproduce it).