PDA

View Full Version : moving children

dspady
09-07-2005, 12:28 PM
When I move a child topic to the left the topic moves to the bottom of what could be a long list. Why does it not go immediately to the left and immediately below its former parent. For example:
x (parent)
/ y (child)
x (some other child's parent)
x
Move y one column left and you get
x
x
x
y (the former child is now here)
instead of
x
y (former child)
x
x

Leoram
09-07-2005, 12:52 PM
I too find this behaviour unconfortable for the user, especially those like me who makes constant additions and changes to the Data Explorer pane. It would be good to have this reworked so that at the addition of a new child, it gets inmediately beneath its parent. The user then would have the option to move the new child as he thinks appropriate.

Leoram

kevina
09-09-2005, 01:58 PM
The default sort in the Data Explorer Pane is alphabetical, so when the a sibling is moved right (to become a child) it is put at the appropriate location based on it's title (sorted alphabetically).

The other sort is a manual sort (which happens automatically when you manually re-order siblings up and down).

Essentially you are asking for the sort to be forced to manual and ensure the moved Info Item is placed at the "current" position when moved right.

It seems the best way to preserve the current behaviour would be to provide an option for what the default sort in the Data Explorer Pane is. When the siblings being joined by the moved (right) Info Item are sorted manually, it could take the manual
"current" position as you are requesting.

Would this be acceptable? If so, we will add this specific request to our todo list for a future version of Ultra Recall.

dspady
09-09-2005, 02:57 PM
I think that a manual sort is preferable. When I am creating folders I often name them in respect of what they contain and if I do a lot in sequence it probably reflects their order of importance rather than their alphabetical order, which often is irrelevant. The default then should be manual. Is there any way to change the 'alphabetic' default in the current version of Ultra Recall?

dspady
09-12-2005, 02:06 PM
When I read your reply (Kevina's reply) to my query I thought you were talking about moving children to the LEFT (so they became siblings) but it seems that you are talking about making new children (moving RIGHT). My concern is with moving left but the same issue applies: the default should be that the item being moved should (in the case of a LEFT move) go immediately below the parent and not at the bottom of the list. The case of a RIGHT move is less problematic and the current default seems OK to me.

blueshoes
09-13-2005, 07:35 AM
I would also be very glad for a manual sort option

Clemens

HalfCyborg
09-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by blueshoes
I would also be very glad for a manual sort option

Clemens

Please add my "Me Too" to the list. The work-around that I use to create a manually ordered list is to create two items, manually re-order them, then add the rest of the items. Bleech.

Most of my lists are manually ordered. Ideally, I would like "manual" to be the default, with the ability to right-click and then choose "sort items." This would result in a small dialog where I can then choose sort options that I want. Action Outline has an excellent implementation of this. Please see the attached image.

[Edit]
Looks like the attachment didn't stick. I've uploaded it to ImageShack:

http://img226.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sort4mh.jpg