PDA

View Full Version : Store or link?

tourdebill
08-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Hello:

I use UR for storing reference files. I want to know if UR users are linking documents into UR as only items that are linked to extrernal files, or if they are tending to create amd store the documents within UR. I am talking about excel files, word files, powerpoint, etc.

What are the pros and cons of storing files created through UR? I am concerned that in the future I may switch to a Mac OS, and have problems exporting the files and saving the organization.

And if you are only linking, how do you organize the orginal files on your hard drive and keep track of those that are linked? It seems that linking adds an unnecessary file management step. So I am curious what practices are being developed by others.

Thanks!

Bill

srdiamond
08-23-2005, 11:55 PM
I generally store documents, because that allows me carry them on a USB key to any location.

But I never have a great many--never more than 100 documents to store. If I had a lot of them, including many pdf files, I probably wouldn't store them all, for the same reason--doing that would probably make the file so large, I couldn't carry it.

I don't think keeping track of the linked files would be an issue for me, because I don't see why I would need to. If they were linked in UR, I could just dump them all into one folder. Why organize stuff twice? More likely, I would probably set up a crude system with multiple folders, maybe alphabetical or something like that--I guess for some neurotic reason as I can't really see the benefit.

kevina
08-24-2005, 08:38 AM
If you locate the actual documents in a subfolder to the .urd file location, Ultra Recall will automatically make the url "link" be a relative path, making it easy to keep them together/migrate but also keeps the .urd file smaller (so it can be put on a usb device without the files, as an example).

Just another twist on the store/link question...