PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing File!

Daly de Gagne
06-25-2005, 06:09 PM
I produce a weekly leaflet for the Sunday service I do at a hospital. About a week ago I stored the file of those leaflest in UR.

This morning I produced tomorrow's leaflet. I opened the previous week's leaflet from UR, and made the necessary changes. One of the changes is that I made a new file by doing a "save as" for tomorrow's date.

I worked on the new file thus made, saved it, printed it.

I was curious to see whether the new (tomorrow"s leaflet) file would appear in both My Documents and in UR.

However, the file seems to have completely vanished.
Neither is it in UR nor any Windows folder.

The original file from last week shows up in both UR and My Documents.

I have searched for the missing file using UR's search, Windows search (gave me time to make a sandwich!), and Wilbur, a free desktop search tool.

I cannot find the file anywhere.

I have downloaded a trial copy of X1, and once it has finished indexing my hard drive, I will do a search with it.

When I am working with files that are stored in UR, and kept as well in My Document, what procedure do I need to follow to ensure I donn't have a file vanish -- and -- ideally to have any changes or new files appear in both UR and My Documents? I thought I understood the process, but I guess I don't.

My other question is that I thought the stored document was to open in the UR items pane, but that did not happen, so again I am wondering if I understand?

I apppreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks.

Daly

srdiamond
06-26-2005, 02:27 AM
Daly,

I opened a stored document and clicked "save as," to see in what folder it would appear, absent any redirection. It would seem that you saved the document in a temporary folder under Local Settings. So it probably really is gone. You can try looking in Documents and Settings/LocalSetting/UltraRecall to see if it's still there.

If you made changes and did an ordinary save, the changes would be preserved in UR, because an ordinary save preserves the changes in the same location as the document was stored. But if you want to do a "save as," you need to take care as to the folder to which you direct the new document.

I don't think you can perform a save as to another location within UR, at least not that I'm aware of. The procedure would be to move the saved document using the Data Explorer.

Stephen Diamond

PS This message got posted in the wrong thread. I don't think I made a mistake. I'm using a IE-based browser this time; there is perhaps an incompatibility between the forum and Opera Browser. But if this one goes bad, I give up.

Daly de Gagne
06-26-2005, 06:11 AM
Stephen, I think you may have the answer, that the mistake I made was in the "save as," but I am used to doing a "save as" on an existing file, and the new file follows the path of the one from which it is derived. Thanks.

Daly

kinook
06-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Stored documents are editing externally by UR creating a temporary copy in a subfolder of your TEMP path, and then syncing that file with any changes back into UR. UR won't know anything about a copy you make in an external app via save as. A couple options:

1) Duplicate the document in UR (copy, then Edit | Paste Special | Duplicate), then modify that copy
2) After saving a copy externally, import the file into UR (if you save as in the TEMP path, be sure to import before exiting UR, as it will clean up any files in its TEMP path on exit)