PDA

View Full Version : Templates

LuffmanA
05-18-2005, 04:00 PM
I have been using UR for a few days and am overall very impressed with it. It took me a bit to figure out how to add custom attributes (it is not in the online help that I could find) but I managed to run across it and have been using it to customize some things.

Currently, I am building a database of articles that pertain to my company's product. To facilitate this, I created about 3 dozen custom attributes such as author, publication, date of publication, etc. I set up a custom template called "Article" that was based on the Document template but is not a child of it to contain these new custom attributes.

So far, so good. BUT...

When I want to bring in a new article, it will ONLY use the basic pane (with the 'link to document'). Well, sometimes I want to paste text and not link to it.

I have discovered how to change the template so that it pulls in these extra fields but this only works SOMETIMES, I can't figure out what I'm doing differently. Actually, I did it a few times by accident and now can't figure out how it happened so I can duplicate it.

If I start a new Document, I get the link part that I don't want. If I start new Text, I can paste just fine but it only gives me choices of Folder, Project, Task or Text for the template to switch to.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks,
Amei

kinook
05-18-2005, 08:50 PM
If you want to enter plain or formatted text for your items within UR, you will probably want to base your template on the Text core template [1] rather than the Document template.

To set up the derived template, right-click the Templates item, click Insert Child and Text in the drop-down menu. Rename your custom template and add the custom attributes to it via the Item Attributes pane.

To use the template, select the parent item in the tree, insert as above, except choose your new template instead of Text, then edit the item text and attributes as desired. You can also set the Default Child Template attribute of a parent item to your new Template for the default insert (Edit | Insert on the menu or the Insert key) to use that template by default.

The Attributes Editor dialog, for managing attributes, is documented here [2].

[1] http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/?texttemplate.htm
[2] http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/?attributeeditordialog.htm